Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Connecting other devices to SuperHub 3 in Modem Mode

I am sick of the poor performance and constant disconnections from the SuperHub 3 so have bought myself a second hand Asus RT-AC3200 off eBay which I intend on running with the Merlin Firmware and NordVPN via OpenVPN. Hopefully this won't be too difficult to set up (I'm not experienced with router configuration) but if anyone has any tips or tricks for the best setup/settings I would be happy to hear them!

However for now I have a specific question - when the SuperHub 3 is in Modem Mode can the LAN ports on the back only be used for connecting the router to the network, or can you run other devices directly via Ethernet from the SuperHub 3? The reason I ask is that I'm planning on moving the Asus Router further from my TV and AV equipment so it is more in the open, I can't do this with my SuperHub as it is on a short cable but I will be able to get a longer LAN cable to do this with the Router. However there are a number of devices near the SuperHub (CCTV, PS4, EE Booster Box, TIVO) that I would like to plug in via LAN - but the question is would these have to plug into the router or could they plug into the SuperHub 3 Modem? Potentially it would only be the CCTV & EE Booster Box connections as they are the only device that is not WiFi enabled... Just trying to work out how much rearranging I would need to do...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connecting other devices to SuperHub 3 in Modem Mode

In modem mode, all of the ports are actually 'active, ie live' but only one of them can be used at a time. Every device you want to connect has to be done via your own router in this mode.

John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

And thinking about it some more, if it were me, I'd get a cheap gigabit five port switch and put it next to the VM Hub, single Ethernet cable from the VM hub to your router's WAN port, another cable from one of the LAN ports on the router back to the little switch and then plug all of your devices into that rather than having to run separate cables for each back to where the router is.

John 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I didn't think of that, good idea! Just about to go on and order some longer cables so I'll just get two and a switch.

0 Kudos