Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Connecting a 2nd VM hub?

Hello fellow  users, wonder if any you bright sparks can help guide me on  setting up a second VM hub to use as 2nd wifi hub in a far and distant bedroom. 

If it helps my main hub is already in modem mode and connected to an ASUS router - rest of the house has power lines to extend coverage to garage/office (TP-Links ).   I was thinking - of connecting the spare VM hub to a spare TP-Link in the proposed bedroom. If possible what would the settings would  I need to adjust on the 2nd VM hub please?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connecting a 2nd VM hub?

How do you have a spare hub?

Hubs have to be returned or recycled following an upgrade or replacement. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Last year my connection was dropping out regularly.  Cust services sent me a spare hub out to replace the original.  I never used the replacement as the issue had settled down by the time they sent the replacement out. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Log into the ASUS and find its IP address and its DHCP reservation range, let's suppose that these values are 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.50 to 192.168.1.100. Now log into the second VM hub (hub 2) and change its IP address to be in the same IP segment as the ASUS's but outside the DHCP reservation range, so make it something like 192.168.1.40. Also disable the hub 2's DHCP server.

Connect the hub 2 to the TP-Link with an Ethernet cable and reboot the hub 2, you should get broadband and WiFi. The WiFi will have different SSIDs to those of the ASUS and I recommend that you leave it so.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Roger- much appreciated. I'll give that a whizz.

0 Kudos