cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Child Safe switched off but still active

HydeTDS
On our wavelength

Hi

I have Child Safe turned off but it's still blocking websites.

Can someone investigate please?

20 REPLIES 20

HydeTDS
On our wavelength

But if a DNS change is the only workaround, I'll re read this thread for the suggestions.

Client62
Legend

Child Safe is a known source of many problems.
For some like you the selected setting in the VM Account is not reflected in the functioning of the VM DNS.
For others the Child Safe On / Off settings fail with errors and they are unable to attempt to apply a change.

Virgin Media's team are as ever silent on mentioning this is a known issue, preferring to waste the customers time in rebooting the Hub when the defect is on the VM back end systems controlling the DNS.

Good Afternoon @HydeTDS, thanks for coming back to the thread.

Can you please confirm that the 18+ content/services are now working as expected on the Virgin Media connection, following the advice offered, or is this indeed still ongoing?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

HydeTDS
On our wavelength

Okay, this is odd.  On my laptop over WiFi I can access 18+ content/services.  But my mobile, using both Android Samsung Internet and Chrome browsers I get the VM splash page "Look out! Your Virgin Media Child Safe settings have blocked this site"???

How come I get access over the same wifi from Edge, but neither of the Android browsers work?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

what dns shows here on laptop

dnscheck.tools - test your dns resolvers

---------------------------------------------------------------

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Most likely explanation is the laptop is not using Virgin Media's DNS but the mobile devices are. To confirm this is the case from each device browse to 1.1.1.1 — the Internet’s Fastest, Privacy-First DNS Resolver and confirm the AS Name value is Virgin Media on mobile device and something else on laptop.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

HydeTDS
On our wavelength

Correct!

Laptop is showing Hydra Communications 

Mobile is showing Virgin Media

How do I change the mobile please?  Or can I change DNS in the Hub 5 router?  I did look at the Hub's interface earlier, but couldn't find any option to change the DNS address??

HydeTDS
On our wavelength

Don't worry.  I'm going to use NordVPN DNS servers as I'm a subscriber to their services and have changed my WiFi settings on my mobile according to the instructions for doing so on the NordVPN website and all now works as it should on my mobile for both browsers.

Many thanks all!

Now my only outstanding issue is that I can't use any of the VM android apps as they can't find my account!  I suspect because they're still pointing at my last subscription to VM rather than my current package??  Should I start a new thread for this?

HydeTDS
On our wavelength

"Now my only outstanding issue is that I can't use any of the VM android apps as they can't find my account!  I suspect because they're still pointing at my last subscription to VM rather than my current package??  Should I start a new thread for this?"

I spoke too soon 😭

Yesterday I was watching a recording and it suddenly stopped, displaying the Virgin Media logo for a few seconds but when the the box recovered it displayed a live channel and the watched position status of my recording had not been maintained.

This evening I've had all sorts of issues, random freezes requiring a turn off at the mains.  Starting a recording just sits there spinning and all responses to the remote are ignored even though the v360 box blinks the power button light to each remote button press.  This also requires a switch off and restart.  And I'm getting pixelation on live and recorded programmes.  Is the v360 box failing already!?!?  Happy to start a new thread on this too if recommended?

Hi there @HydeTDS 👋 Welcome back to our forum and thanks for your post 😊

Sorry to see you've been having ongoing issues with using our Apps as well as seeing issues with the TV service, I can certainly understand the frustration with this 😔

This is something that we may need to take a look at further, especially to see if your accounts are linked to a prior service.

I'll send you a PM to confirm your details so this can be done.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules