cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t log into my own wifi

gillhoose
On our wavelength

I am having so many problems with this rubbish virgin wifi. Firstly the speed is pathetic. I don’t think I’m on what I’m supposed to be on. I’m on 1gb and I have never gone above 450mb. My uncle has 500mb and his always goes over 550mb. I am sick and fed up with it. Now every single day for the last 2 weeks I don’t automatically sign in to my wifi. I have to put the password in. However. It’s now telling me that the password is wrong. I set the password. It’s been the same for years and has t changed. It’s telling me the password is wrong. Why am I sitting using my EE 5g in my own house when my virgin Broadband is there. I’m not having this. It’s a waste of money. No one in our house is able to log into the wifi with the password. Every now and then we are asked if we want to share the password. What the hell is going on. I need an engineer now. 

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What Hub model is it? If a Hub4 - thats wifi 5 - and unlikely to deliver more than ~500 on one wifi device. What do you get on an ethernet cable connection?

Try this to reset the password

Do a Hub “pinhole reset” - first make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! With the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press the reset pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 (a timed sixty) seconds, release the pin, leave for 5’ to stabilise - dont manually switch it off at any time.

Passwords and SSID’s will reset to those on the sticker so log in and change them back to what they were/should be. Note there are 2 passwords - one for wifi and the other is to log into the Hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @gillhoose,

Thank you for your post and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am really sorry to hear you're unhappy with your Wi-Fi speeds recently and that you're also experiencing some connection issues too. With the password, if you're struggling to remember and/or login with a custom password you've set, please perform a factory reset of the router and you'll then be able to login with the default password. You can find the default password provided with the router, and present on a sticker or little card with the router, depending on the model you have.

With the Wi-Fi speeds, can you perform a speed test now and confirm the results? Can you also do the same on a wired connection too?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

gillhoose
On our wavelength

You obviously didn’t listen did you. The password is correct. I set it. My wife and kids use the same password and it works.  But every single day at around 8 am the internet turned off. Every single day. Then every afternoon I get a message stating password is wrong even before I put a password in. I don’t automatically connect to my wifi either. It happens a lot and it’s really going to me. I’m paying for this service which never works.  Then when I do put the correct password in it doesn’t work. I then do a reset of the router and put the password in and it works. The virgin Broadband is rubbish. I have 1gb and I get nowhere near it. There is something totally wrong with the whole set up or the router. I’ve had engineers galore out to my house and it’s still garbage. 

gillhoose
On our wavelength

I know where the passwords are Zach I’m not stupid. I’ve done factory reset every time. I’m constantly having connection issues with virgin. I think it’s the cable. Behind my router I have about 3 metres of cable which is totally wrong. Why have I got so much cable there. It has to be causing a problem. It’s all coiled up. 

Mate I know how to do a pin reset. For goodness sake. I’m not stupid. The problem is Virgin. Not me or my knowledge of how to do a password reset or read a password. My uncle has 500mb yet he gets over 550mb every single time he does a speed check. I have reached 400 once but normally I get 250. Why am I paying for 1gb when I don’t get anywhere near it. It’s a hub 4. 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Now it's your turn not to be listening. You will not be getting more than about 500Mbps on WiFi with the Hub 4. To get the full speed you will need an ethernet connection. 

The WiFi password is a different issue. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Thanks for coming back to us gillhoose. I have been looking into your connection and can see that there is an issue with the SNR levels on your connection, they have dropped too low and this could be causing some of your issues, this would need a technician visit to resolve the issues. I can arrange the appointment from here but would need to confirm a few details via a private message, that I will drop over in a moment. Please look out for the private message and we can get started.
Kind Regards,
Steven_L