Menu
Jez900
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Can’t get plug socket WiFi extender to work

I have just installed a twin socket with WiFi extender into a cabin in the garden. I have set this up and joined my virgin WiFi from the house.

it boosts the signal well, and the password the same as the main network, but it will not access the internet... I’m struggling to work out why if it sees the network and says it’s joined.

I still have the white virgin hub (not sure if that makes any difference, or if I should contact them for an upgrade?)

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

jeremy

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can’t get plug socket WiFi extender to work

Is that a Superhub1 ? What model of wifi extenders are you using? Is the cabin power on the same electrical circuit as the one in the house - or was it wired up on a separate consumer unit?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Jez900
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I believe it is a super hub 1.

the extender is an LAP WiFi extender socket (with x2 plug sockets in)

The cabin is on its own consumer unit, but run from the main consumer unit from the house.

thanks

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The SH1 should be used as a doorstop by now. It only broadcasts one wifi band at a time - not simultaneously like all other Hubs. They have been offering free upgrades for some time although there are supply issues at the moment

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/hub-swap.html?buspart=uk_app_connect2_hubswap

Without knowing what your circuitry is its hard to say - but I suspect that the two circuits may not be electrically connected - hence they wont send the "signal" down the mains cable between them. I may be wrong of course.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Jez900
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just checked on the link you sent, apparently I have a super hub 3.0? Even though it’s white? It is the original one I got in 2016 when I signed up... could that be right?

isn’t there a permanent connection form the house if I can get power down there? Obviously it would cut off if tripped, but as I mentioned the password works, the signal is strong but it just won’t let my phone connect to the internet via it ☹️

0 Kudos
Jez900
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It is a super hub 3 I believe

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes some early Hub3's were white.

Hard to say re the electrics - hopefully someone else will comment. My powerline extenders do work but that's on upstairs and downstairs mains circuits. These are separate circuits as they can be isolated individually by the RCD's but they are in the same "fuse box" and so work ok.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

That is a WiFi extender, so I believe if it’s not within range of the Hub 3, it will not work. It’s also the older N300 tech so will be slow as well.

You should really run an Ethernet cable out to the garden room. 

Nothing wrong with the white Hub 3 btw, I’ve been using mine since they were first trialled. 

0 Kudos
Jez900
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the help.

I wonder if I put another extender in between the hub and garden room if that would help?

otherwise I guess it will have to be hard wired

thanks

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Jez900 wrote:

Thanks for the help.

I wonder if I put another extender in between the hub and garden room if that would help?

otherwise I guess it will have to be hard wired

thanks

Every extender will drop speed, so that’s not the best idea. I would run a cable out to be honest. 

0 Kudos