cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone from Peterborough run a trace route please?

iahmed
On our wavelength

Hello

I need to get some latency stats before getting a connection to ensure it's suitable for my purpose. If you live in Peterborough with a Virgin Media connection and are willing to help me, it only takes a few minutes and I'd appreciate it greatly.

1. Ensure your computer is connected to your router via Ethernet and the WiFi is turned off.

2. If you are using a laptop, please ensure it is connected to its charger and the charger is turned on.

3. Run a trace route and paste the result in a reply:
-- If you have Mac: go to Launchpad > Terminal. This will open a black box. Type traceroute -d 1.1.1.1 and press enter.
-- If you have Windows:  right click Start icon > Run > type cmd and press enter. This will open a black box. Type tracert -d 1.1.1.1 and press enter.

After a few seconds to a minute, it should finish. Please copy and paste the results.

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
tracert is never going to tell you the full story.

I wonder what the odds are of finding someone for your tests are...
---------------------------------------------------------------

iahmed
On our wavelength

Thank you for your response. I'm a network engineer and a traceroute will tell me exactly what the tool was intended for. The chances of someone answering are zero but since it only took me a minute to write the post and can potentially save me the hassle of getting a line installed, there's no harm done.

It might be a bit technical for you but if you're interested, you can find out more information here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traceroute

"In computing, traceroute and tracert are computer network diagnostic commands for displaying possible routes (paths)..."