Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Can my older TP Link TL-PA1080P Powerlines work with new COMTREND Wireless Booster

Hi,

VM today came and set up our new wired and wireless boosters.  The Superhub 3 is in the bedroom and was connected to a TP Link Powerline adaptor via Ethernet. I then had a TP Link in the office for my PC and another downstairs for the TV. Our house is old and has thick walls so WiFi was always an issue at the back of the house.  

The issue I now have is I cannot get my TP Links to pair with the new COMTREND Boosters. I can have the wired booster connected to the SH3 via Ethernet and the Wireless booster at the back of the house. This means I loose Powerline connectivity to my Office PC and the TV. The other option is to plug the TP Link back in but then loose the Wifi again. 

Can i pair the TP Links to the COMTRENDs or do i have to buy extra wired boosters?

Thanks

Bruce

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Can my older TP Link TL-PA1080P Powerlines work with new COMTREND Wireless Booster

Hello

Virginmedia Boosters use G.Hn technology and will only connect with other kit using G.Hn. Powerline kit using other Powerline standards, including Netgear kits using HomePlug technology, won't be affected by installing these adaptors. However your Boosters won't be able to talk to Powerline kit using these other standards.

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can my older TP Link TL-PA1080P Powerlines work with new COMTREND Wireless Booster

Hi Mike,

Are these compatible with the virgin supplied comtrend wifi boosters?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-PLP1000-100UKS-Gigabit-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B01N3YCC7R/ref=sr_1_2?a...

Many of them don't state the G.Hn spec.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@mark__s wrote:  ....

Many of them don't state the G.Hn spec.

Short answer : Netfear PLP1000(aka "HomePlug") is not compatible with Comtrend(aka "HomeGrid")

Long answer: for "numpties" - Check the UK Netgear website for the model :   and use wiki to familiarise  with G.Hn aka "HomeGrid"  versus "HomePlug" .

AFAIK Currently only VM(Comtrend) and Develo(Magic1/2) utilise G.Hn(Homegrid) in UK.  The marketing spiel for Netgear Homeplug (via Amazon) can be misleading IMO for numpties  that still apparently struggle with browsing/searching VM Website fora and help.   😞

So while "Homegrid" install will co-tolerate (seperate) "Homeplug" install, the two DISCRETE service protocol options WILL NOT cross communicate with each other.  

VM Comtrend (Homegrid) has been tested/trialled for several years (internally and with limited public SU/community trials and last firmware upgrade was 18May2018 according to my notes). Currently my firmware is "LG-w27.2.1c.p9.7.4" but like all Powerline systems then effective (comparison) testing requires intimate knowledge of various legacy/MCB/RCD/RCBMO ring main variations/types in conjunction with SNR online measuring, all of which are out of scope of this fora.   

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
DEFROCKED
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tony.

I had a look on google, wiki etc but it still wasn't clear. Do you know if you can run a pair of G.Hn and a seperate pair of standard powerline adaptors in the same house or will they interfere with each other?

You've done a better job than all of them! Thank you

0 Kudos