Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Buy a wired booster

I have a hub 3 & a WiFi booster already. I have a PC which can only connect through a wired connection. In another room, my son has a PS4 which does not work well with the wifi signal (although the wifi signal is showing as "great" using the virgin connect app). I therefore need a wired connection in both rooms but cannot find anywhere to order a wired booster. The  WiFi booster I have already is included in my package, but I just want to buy a wired booster outright.

Can anyone advise how to purchase a wired booster please?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Buy a wired booster

TBH this is something you better sort yourself without VM.

The best option is to run a Cat5e (or better) ethernet cable from the Hub to the location you want the additional connections. On the end of that connect a switch/wifi combo unit (~£50) so you can connect 4 devices on ethernet and boost the wifi at the same time.

An alternative that my lad (an avid internet gamer who thinks wifi is the work of Satan) uses, is a pair of Solwise ac1200 powerline adapters. His PC/Xbox/PS3 can all be "wired" - with short Cat6 cables – back to the wireless router downstairs and he gets a solid 60-70Mbps - he hasn't complained once in years!

Worth considering whether that will work for your house on your mains circuits - the two circuits have to be linked by going through the same consumer unit/fuse box. Most houses up/down stairs wiring does - unless its an attic/garage conversion, extension or similar - easy to check.

You can also add a wifi access point onto the adapter to boost that up there as well.

See for more info.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/best-powerline-adapters-3490638/
https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/the-best-powerline-adaptors

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos