Menu
yeller76
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Broadband

Hi recently got virgin broadband installed after few years without it as had connection issues in other rooms as old house and thick walls was told this time new hub sorts black spots out so giving it a try went round house with sop in all rooms get thumbs up but guess what can’t connect to anything don’t even get the option to order there expansion pods through app as it gives me the all clear is this just a gimmick can’t even get to talk to a real person on the phone

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband

Remember no ISP actually guarantees wifi connectivity - its obvious really customers could live in a small modern built single story 4 room flat or a stone built 3 story mansion with 8 bedrooms and a "VM poundshop" Hub located in the west wing.

So.... first are you getting good connection when close to the hub and so are confident the issue is purely wifi related (probably because of the construction/size of the house and wifi environment)?

If so you dont really need the App to do anything you dont already know and if it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3, all you can really try is separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance.

But I suspect in your case (difficult wifi environment) it may not help much and it will still be no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

As you know... to address the wifi, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (not “boosters”). Pods are free to customers on 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages - is that you? You don't need the App to order them just call in and do so if you want to try them

If not you will be charged £5/month. Its a simple solution and may work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever - but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s). And, TBH, pods are not exactly the best way of sorting wifi issues in difficult situations/locations ...

Getting either a…

(1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point(s) or (4) A combination of (2) & (3)

... Will certainly sort it for you - but which one is best depends on several variables.

If you dont want to spend any money you may want to look at alternative suppliers. BT promise/guarantee whole home wifi - but they charge £10 a month extra for that and supply you with 3 of their discs - which you can get on Amazon for ~£100. And the "guarantee" says that if it doesnt solve your issue they will give you the money back - some guarantee eh 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband

Hi @yeller76,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting.

I am sorry to hear you are having some issues with the connection. Can I ask if this is purely on WiFi? How are things on a wired connection?

I have checked your account and everything does appear to look in order this end. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos