cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband signal strength

loukerr65
On our wavelength

New customer signed up on 20th Dec using the broadband for the first time last week and the signal didn’t even get to my daughters room, called, logged a complaint with both account manager and customer service to which I was told I’d get a call back and nothing!  
Same issues this week, only me working from home and zoom video calls drop consistently and then today, Monday, daughter can’t even get connected to google class room on brand new chromebook for school work. Awful service and customer support!  

im still waiting for my account manager, Martin, or customer service to call me back funny how they have waited till after the 14 day cooling off period!  
missold frauds are words which come to mind!!

I will never recommend this company! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Excellent - some progress at least !

If you start having wifi issues again post back here for help/info.

If you just want to do a bit of "homework" in advance I will copy the post I made some time ago with some suggestions/tips as a starter for 10.

The cognoscenti will always say (correctly) that the best thing to to do is connect Wireless Access Points directly to the Hub or your own better router by ethernet cables. However some would say a good Mesh will be the best/simplest/most flexible for most average users who dont want to run ethernet cables. .  A Tri-band Mesh system is better for the "backhaul" and for users on high speed packages and umpteen simultaneous connections. Wifi6 is future proofing for getting speeds over 600 mbps on wifi.

Another option is to extend the ethernet connections (and wifi) via powerline adaptors - they work well for lots of people - including for my "gaming son" in his bedroom and they can be "cheap and cheerful".

What you ultimately go for depends on your requirements for... better routing features, your house layout, size, construction materials, your tech abilities, and of course, budget, ~£40-80 will get a decent introductory wireless router (TP-Link Archer C6) but 'may' not on its own solve the wifi in your house, but spending ~£500 will get the “Rolls Royce” solution of a high-end Wifi6 Router & WAP's or a top end Tri-band Mesh system with WiFi6 (may cost a bit more). You'll probably want something suitable (e.g. an introductory Mesh with 1GB ports) - somewhere within that range - I reckon ~£100-150 is around the “sweet spot” for most standard users, and where you would probably need to start for a standard 2/3-story house if it has brick walls. Less for a one-bedroom modern build flat, more for a stone built 8 bedroom mansion

Good options for Access points/Wifi routers/Mesh systems come from Ubiquiti, Asus, TP-Link Deco's M4/M5, Linksys Velop's, Netgear Orbi's (and others) – I would stick with these companies whose business this is - rather than “newcomer” and data-driven” companies like Google, Amazon, etc. Also be sure the router or Mesh specifically says that they have 1GB ethernet ports - some of the cheaper ones only have 100Mbps ports. WiFi6 is also future proofing for faster connections.

Recently, just as an example... three of my friends who all live in brick built 3/4 bed semis, just got TP-Link Deco M5 3-packs (~£150) and all said it is - “absolutely brilliant with excellent wifi speeds in all rooms, the attic and the garden, and the App is a doddle to use”. The first Mesh unit becomes the new router - you need to check whether the one you look at has all the "features” you need. Ethernet ports are usually limited to 1 or 2/unit , so you “may” need to add in an unmanaged GB port switch (<£20) in there as well. My mates also get "full speeds" from the ethernet ports on the Deco's in the remote locations. Finally if you get a 2/3-pack of any Mesh system, which doesn’t cover dead spots everywhere, you can just add in extra unit(s).

Take a look at what fits your needs, tech ability, house layout and budget. Use sites like Techradar & Techadvisor for reviews of "Best Routers" or "Best Mesh". Post again if you want personal recommendations from others on your short list

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

23 REPLIES 23

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It sounds like you have problems with WiFi rather than the broadband connection as such, but do you have any issues with Ethernet cabled connections?

There's a whole collection of suggestions that can be made if so, but VM supply your home with a broadband connection, which your router then converts into wired & wireless connections.

The VM hubs have never been famed for their wireless abilities, but let's check the basics first.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Residential services don’t have allocated account managers. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

loukerr65
On our wavelength

Are you seriously suggesting I Ethernet my multiple devices around my home, I’d have cables everywhere and let’s face it I bought and paid for a wireless service which I was sold with the caveat that it’s faster and stronger than sky! 

Woth respect where is the call I was promised 2-3 hours after logging my complaint??

I have an account manager with direct mobile number

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@loukerr65 wrote:

Are you seriously suggesting I Ethernet my multiple devices around my home,

No, I'm suggesting that connecting an Ethernet device and testing, is a good way of establishing whether your issues are wireless related or broadband related. No broadband ISP will guarantee wireless speeds for the simple fact that wireless is, at best, a dark art and entirely at the behest of your home's construction - which VM have no control over.

It may well be that your home needs additional wireless solutions - boosters, a better router, repeaters and/or a combination of these.

A good point has also been made about account managers though - this community forum is for VM residential services, which don't have them. Are you with Virgin Media on a business or residential account?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

loukerr65
On our wavelength

Residential account thanks, but I do have access to an account manager, not sure why if that isn’t the norm 🤷🏼‍♀️ Again maybe part of the whole fraudulent sale prior to Xmas, targets and all that but maybe I’m being too harsh on the gentleman!?! 

totally understand ref house construction, I moved from sky because of speeds but strength, reliability and range was never an issue. VM hub 3 is in the same location i e used the service with venom myself during the day and had multiple issues with hey video calls and the tea he is def not good! if a booster is required then fine but wouldn’t it be nice if I got a response from the complaint logged as promised?!? 

@loukerr65 wrote:

Are you seriously suggesting I Ethernet my multiple devices around my home, I’d have cables everywhere and let’s face it I bought and paid for a wireless service which I was sold with the caveat that it’s faster and stronger than sky! 

Woth respect where is the call I was promised 2-3 hours after logging my complaint??

Virgin don’t sell a wireless service.
They sell a cable service.

How you connect and optimise your devices is down to you as a customer.

Check your terms and conditions and contract and you’ll see wireless speeds and connectivity are not supported. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'm going to hazard a guess that the "account manager" could just be the salesperson who sold you the package? And if you have logged a complaint via the online webform, this has a 28day response time.

Others that are better-informed with the WiFi-side of things will be along shortly to advise further - but can you confirm if Ethernet connections are ok?

Well actually they have 8 weeks to respond (or you receive a letter of deadlock, whichever is sooner) to a complaint before you can escalate it to the governing body responsible for handling complaints beyond the provider in question.