Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Broadband issue upstairs

I can't get any connection on internet anymore with all my devices upstairs. My bedroom TV and my child's PS4 are both unable to connect to internet via WiFi anymore

Sometimes I do get a connection but it will be so bad that the games on my child's PS4 are unplayable

I have tried contacting virgin media by telephone but don't get an answer and I understand times are difficult at the moment with covid-19 but I'm paying for a service which I'm clearly not getting and this has been an issue for the last month now

Can virgin media not provide me with some power line adaptors or a better router?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband issue upstairs

Hi ... is this a new thing ... as in did it used to work OK?

I've had my Hub 3 for a good few years or so now and never had a problem with it reaching all parts of our house (a 3 storey modern town house - so no thick walls getting in the way). The Hub 3 is in the lounge on the middle floor. Now, when I try to use iPhone/iPad in the bedroom - which is directly above the lounge - I often can't get the internet and have to come off wifi and reconnect. This usually solves it, but sometimes I have to do it every few minutes and end up just using the 4G on my iPhone. 

Not sure if my router has developed a problem or if it's something else. I've had this problem only the last couple of months.

Would be interested to see if anyone has any suggestions for you @houndog787 that might also help me 🙂

Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Get your own better router or a mesh system. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Somebody else suggested getting my own router

Any recommendations?

Also just to update I finally got through to VM on the telephone and they are sending me some wifi boosters out. I'll update on how they go once I get them

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Are they charging  you for them?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

No because I'm already on the highest tier they said they would include them for free

Do they charge you usually for the wifi boosters? Or do they add a fee to your monthly bill?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Only free on the bundle that includes the top phone, tv and broadband packages.

Anything else is £3 per month. 

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Update

Boosters arrived today and have made no difference at all. In fact the speeds are worse and the lag in gaming is worse

I connected the boosters as instructed then connected the upstairs booster to my son's PS4 with Ethernet cable and speeds are worse than when booster wasn't connected

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

a few things may have changed over time - no one seems to have suggested anything

are the wifi bands split - if not log in and do that and turn off smart wifi

download inSSIDer or similar check what other routers are around you and set your wifi to use channels that are not busy

can you get a lan cable upstairs - all sorts of routes depending on the layout of the house - internally or out - up and back in - if so a switch will give you as many wired connections as you want or a access point to just give you wifi - think about a 3rd party router even sat next to the hub it will have far better wifi

the possibilities are endless 

Tony
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your suggestions

How do I split the wifi bands and switch off smart wifi please?

I'll give that a go first

0 Kudos