Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 21 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband drops few times a day, even in modem mode, normal tricks haven't worked...

Oh interesting! So no the devices will still stay connected to the router no problem, but during the minute or two its playing up the internet plummets from the usual 110meg to less then 1 meg (basically nothing loads) 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 22 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband drops few times a day, even in modem mode, normal tricks haven't worked...

Hey all, 

I was wondering if I could flag this still, after restarting the router and removing it from Modem mode, it worked super smooth for the first few days but now it's back to slowing down, in this screenshot you can see the average latency spikes that happen at the same time my internet crawls, does anyone have any suggestions to fix? 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/7be5603da55754ff6df4810e57f277bb31...

Thanks!  

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 23 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 wifi internet dropouts / Latency spikes since recent updates? (even in modem mode)

Hey all, 

I was wondering if I could get some help, for the last few weeks, since the router restarted itself twice two nights in a row (I guess to install updates?) the internet speeds are inconsistent, most of the time it's great but then I get these spikes where the speed drops to a few meg. After restarting the router it works much better for the first few days but now it's back to slowing down, in this screenshot you can see the average latency spikes that happen at the same time my internet crawls, does anyone have any suggestions to fix? 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/7be5603da55754ff6df4810e57f277bb31...

(Extra info: Wired seems fine, but using another a router in modem mode still seems to do the same thing, I never get disconnected from the hub 3 when the spikes kick in, the internet basically just dies, gaming has become a nightmare due to crazy high ping...) 

Thanks!  

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 24 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 wifi internet dropouts / Latency spikes since recent updates? (even in modem mode)

What speed do you get at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Message 25 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ollie1234,

Thanks for your post. 

I'm sorry that you've been experiencing some drop outs/slower speeds. 

I've had a look at your services, and everything looks within specification so I'm not able to see anything that would be causing an issue from here.

Have you noticed an improvement since posting last?

Let us know,

Thanks

Melissa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 26 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hey Melissa,

Thanks for getting back to me! 

Sadly not, I have now hocked up my console and laptop to be wired and they have no issues since then. It's basically devices that connect wirelessly so my iPhone and iPad. It's very odd! 

If you have any suggestions please let me know,

Thanks,

Ollie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 27 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 wifi internet dropouts / Latency spikes since recent updates? (even in modem mode)

Hey Mike, 

Thanks for getting back to me mate,

So I checked wired, the speeds I get are pretty good (90mbs down, 10 up) good for the 100mb package I pay for. It 100% seems to be the wireless on the router as sometimes when trying to do a speedtest on my iPhone or tablet, the website won't even load..  

Cheers,

Ollie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 28 of 28
Flag for a moderator

You may be as well refining your Wi-Fi management, it will certainly help keeping track of your Wi-Fi frequencies.

Best done with a cable connected device.

Instructions for Hub 3, Hub 4 is similar.

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click ‘Disable Channel Optimization’ > Click ‘Apply Changes’.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add 2 to the 2.4GHz Channel name [SSID] > Add 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name [SSID] > Click ‘Apply Changes’

You can leave the passwords the same as they are. 

Log out of the Hub then reboot using this method ...

Switch the Hub off using the small switch on the rear of the Hub next to the power cord and pull the PSU plug from the wall socket.

Give it a good 5 minutes put the plug back in and switch the Hub back on.

Allow the Hub a few minutes to fully restart then try your Wi-Fi again.

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

When you connect the devices do it at the furthest point from the Hub that the device will be used.

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos