Menu
Tuning in
Message 21 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband down for 5 days

'That won't help your court case'

Sorry, are you a lawyer? Then thanks for the advice, if not then leave off..

I admit it's possible, you certainly know little to nothing about networking if you think the VOIP will work while the physical layer is down. I, on the on the hand hold  a current CCNP. I also worked for NTL 2001 -2004 in the Watford office where I worked on the configuration of the Cisco uBRs in the head end that were initially just providing the Now/Next information but were now going to provide IP services. I worked closely with two colleges who were on the EuroDOCSIS advisory panel and provided last level support to the NOC at Bromley. 

This was obviously a long time ago, and while I haven't worked on any cable networks since I would still like to have a go seeing as no one else will. I'll knock up all the neighbors,too. Let's face it I've got loads of time on my hands 

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 22 of 31
Flag for a moderator

That doesn’t mean you have any right or access to special treatment just because “I used to work for, therefore I know...”. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 23 of 31
Flag for a moderator

You can take them to the small claims court. Did the same with BT & claimed for days with loss of broadband. You can only claim actual losses so need to be able to prove what your losses are. Costs about £25 to do online but i’ve used it twice now & won both times. Worth also complaining to OFCOM as they will give you compensation also.

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 24 of 31
Flag for a moderator

@julesharvey1 wrote:

You can take them to the small claims court. Did the same with BT & claimed for days with loss of broadband. You can only claim actual losses so need to be able to prove what your losses are. Costs about £25 to do online but i’ve used it twice now & won both times. Worth also complaining to OFCOM as they will give you compensation also.

For a start OFCOM don’t take customer complaints.

Also you can’t claim for losses on a residential line/package. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 25 of 31
Flag for a moderator

OFCOM do take customer complaints if you cant resolve the issue via the standard complaints procedure although you have to go down the ADR route which takes ages. But definitely still worth logging the complaint with them.

You can claim for losses on a residential package. I know as i have claimed twice. Last time was BT and claimed for the days with loss of service & claimed for the cost of having to use internet cafe. You can also claim interest of 8% and the court fees. Very easy to do online.

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 26 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Read Virgin’s terms and conditions and you’ll see what you can and can’t use their residential service for.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 27 of 31
Flag for a moderator

There is a big difference between WFH usage & business usage. As part of the Covid-19 response VM did say that they would be increasing the residential network to cover the increase in WFH.

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 28 of 31
Flag for a moderator

@julesharvey1 wrote:

There is a big difference between WFH usage & business usage. As part of the Covid-19 response VM did say that they would be increasing the residential network to cover the increase in WFH.

Where have they publicised that?

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 29 of 31
Flag for a moderator

The small claims court seems to be the way to go, I’ve certainly got lots of evidence of Virgin’s lack of communication. Let’s be fair, I was only made aware of the real problem on this legal form, what luck.

You never know, might see a real person and they can try and defend the rubbish on the COVID-19 response page.

One thing I’ve got is time

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 30 of 31
Flag for a moderator

"Sorry, are you a lawyer? Then thanks for the advice, if not then leave off.."
No, I'm just not an idiot.

" you certainly know little to nothing about networking if you think the VOIP will work while the physical layer is down"
I'm a 3rd line engineer for a VOIP provider. I'm the person that gets the problems when the networking guys can't 🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos