Menu
Blackbart
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Boosting wifi in tall house

Hi there

I live in a three story Edwardian house. The virgin Super Douper hub is at the bottom. The download speed ten feet away from the hub is 245mps, go up two levels the bedroom gives 61 mps and the study where we most need good internet its 27mps. Quite a difference!

Powerline adaptors do not work in this house, and I have been advised against getting virgin to relocate the router to one floor up! I assume the router is configured OK. I lost the will to live trying to research this on the internet so maybe some kind soul within this splendid community might have some suggestions. While money is slightly a consideration the priority is getting good fast wifi in that study. My hunch is one of these mesh systems is the way to go but which one???

Im very grateful yo anyone lending me a helping hand.

Stephen

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Boosting wifi in tall house

A mesh system will help. for the best experience, you should look at tri-band systems, so that backhaul between mesh points is done over a dedicated radio. 

tp-link deco m9 and asus xt8 are two options and are reviewed well around here.

if the price of those isn't attractive, then you can consider a dual-band system, but in this scenario you're going to be sharing a radio between connected devices & backhaul and that will impact overall speed / performance. whether or not that is acceptable comes down to how many devices you have connected and what sort of speeds you need.. you could check out the Tp-link deco m4/m5 for dual-band.

if you opt for dual-band, buy it from somewhere you can easily return it and if it doesn't meet your needs, exchange it for a tri-band system.

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Either a mesh system or run some cabling and install a wireless access point or two

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

mesh is certainly the way to go - router/master unit near the hub set to modem mode - satellite unit on the floor above or even the top floor - start with that and see what you get - if the top 2 floors are still not as good as you like then a second satellite unit so one unit on each floor

choice is down to budget - just set up a netger orbi and the coverage in a reasonable semi with brick and breeze inner walls is excellent - probarbly over kill and expensive - only needed one satellite unit so not bad on price

but there are others with better prices - all down to you on that

Tony
Adduxi
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Blackbart wrote:

Hi there

<snip>

Im very grateful yo anyone lending me a helping hand.

Stephen

In addition to all the previous good advice, is it possible to get an external cable from your study to the hub downstairs?  If so, you will get the full speed from cable and a reasonable wifi access point.  However, if DIY is not your thing, then yes, Mesh is easier.

Blackbart
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks everyone

ive just seen that the netgear orbi is on offer via amazon, that’s dual band of course.

there will only be a maximum of two people ever using this network at any one time. If that makes a difference? 

my thanks again to you all

steohen

0 Kudos