Highlighted
Community elder
Message 21 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Best router for Ethernet file transfer speeds

TP-link is a budget brand - built at minimal cost

try linksys small business model LGS105 or 108.   £11, £22 

its worth spending a couple of £ more for longer life e.g. tp-link probably has 1 year warranty, Linksys has 5 years of lifetime. it may not always be practical to claim on that e.g. posting one back to linksys may be not cheap, but the warranty length is a clue to how long the manufacturers expect it to last.

there are 3 factors to consider when buying a switch

plastic v metal case. plastic is fine if its hidden away where you will not tread on it

port ratings - you want Gb

throughput rating  e.g. an 8 port Gb switch may have a total throughput limit of only 3Gb - not an issue if you are the only user but for heavier multi-usage you want a bigger number

also remember, as others have said, the more traffic you can route over LAN, not via the Hub, the better the hub-to -nternet speed will be, because it is not multi - tasking.

So if you want to move files around, while also running a big background download, that's a factor

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 22 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Personally, I would look at something like a Netgear GS110MX. It is unmanaged so treat as plug/play. But it delivers 2 10GBase-t ports, so would allow you to one day plug in a decent AX wifi with 2.5Gb back haul and even a 10Gb NAS etc.

I used one for while to connect NAS/ESXi until I could afford to develop a full 10Gb core.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 23 of 23
Flag for a moderator

looking at that that netgear at amazon. I take your point about being 10Gb ready but its a lot to shell out right now.

if/when 10Gb becomes more common, prices will drop.

I can't think of any consumer gadgets that can use a >1GB link

Price:£144.49
0 Kudos