Menu
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 21 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: Best non-WiFi router for Hub 3

one thing to make sure you do on an ER-X is enable hardware off-loading.
i believe it's disabled by default, but should definitely be enabled.
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 22 of 27
Flag for a moderator

compared to Geoff's config mine is probably a little more complex.

i have 2 VLANs configured (1 for main network, 1 for guest WIFI, which has total device isolation), OpenVPN configured, eth4 has PoE passthru enabled to power by Unifi AP. - in fact i have the ER-X powered via a POE injector. i also have DynDNS enabled so that if my WAN IP were ever to change it will update my host with the new IP (i have a webserver on my local LAN).
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 23 of 27
Flag for a moderator

it can only be enabled via SSH or CLI - the option in the admin interface doesn't work - it stays "disabled" regardless of what is displayed.

Follow the instructions in the many youtube videos - dead easy - takes 2 mins max.

On the video I watched, the before and after was amazing - before = circa 200Mbps, after = 970Mbps

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 24 of 27
Flag for a moderator

I've considered VLAN for isolated guest wifi, but seems a bit overkill for me.

I did consider DDNS on the ER-X, but I use my Synology NAS for that as there's a free DDNS service from them.  Having said that, my IP has only changed twice in 13 months.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 25 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Good Information

With the same hardware how did you manage to get the erx to connect to the sh3 in modem only mode. I have tried and when setting erx to wan dhcp it world not pick up the external ip address. 

My old ASUS router picked up the external ip address with no issues but with that hardware I didn’t have to defined an input type for the wan. 

i can get the erx to work but only if the sh3 is also working as a router and passing an internal ip address to the erx. Having two routers is not what I want and as the ASUS WiFi Router accomplished what I wanted out of the box the erx should also be able to do it. 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 26 of 27
Flag for a moderator

You may need to power off the hub for 2mins to allow a MAC change for the erx.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BQM, Test for outgoing ports and SSL/L2TP VPN test
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 27 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the suggestion. In the end I left the super hub off for 10 mins after switching it to modem only mode and when I reconnected the erx it managed to obtain an external IP address. 
Thanks for your help it was much appreciated. Now I have 1 router as I wanted. Thank you

0 Kudos