Menu
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 11 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: Best non-WiFi router for Hub 3

i only have 200Mbps so even if it did have it on (i don't) i probably wouldn't impact me.
for my use case i don't need QOS.

however, i would have thought QOS would have prioritsed the video stream over gaming.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 12 of 27
Flag for a moderator

I'm trustng the Asus game prioritisation settings.... it does also have media QoS settings but shouldn't really be required with buffers built in to the app and device 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 13 of 27
Flag for a moderator

This prompted me to check and the app gives a nice view of the traffic priority, and hadn't realised that media was above voip and messaging as standard

Screenshot_20190914-124825_compress69.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 14 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Don't need QoS.
With 390Mbps downstream not really an issue. 
Streaming from internet sources such as Netflix and Amazon is perfectly fine at 4K without any prioritisation.
I also stream 4k from personal media server (Plex) at over 75Mbps and internal Ethernet switching works just fine. 
So not looking for QoS from router at all.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 15 of 27
Flag for a moderator

another vote for the EdgeRouter X - great bit of kit - £50 is an absolute bargain for the capabilities it has.

I used to use an ASUS router and had the QOS enabled on that - don't bother on the EdgeRouter - nobody in the house complains about bandwidth - with hardware offloading enabled, it easily manages with my 350 connection - I average 385 down and 36 up.

I maybe completely wrong, but I thought QOS was more of an issue if you used VOIP phones??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 16 of 27
Flag for a moderator

How easy is the EdgeRouter X to configure? There's no defined WAN port. Is that an issue?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 17 of 27
Flag for a moderator

i use the edgerouter x pretty easy to set up it has a built-in wizard to help

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 18 of 27
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@h1jfg wrote:

How easy is the EdgeRouter X to configure? There's no defined WAN port. Is that an issue?

That's correct - you can designate any of them as WAN ports - convention is to use eth0.  From it arriving via Amazon, to swapping out my old router was no more than 15 mins.

I found it helpful to use a laptop to do the initial config on the EdgeRouter - once up and running, you can do the further config from any machine on your network.  There are loads of videos on youtube.  Make sure you enable "hardware oflload" so that the router can give you full gigabit throughput and make full use of your M350 package.

Mine is set up in a fairly basic config - 1 WAN port (eth0) and the remaining 4 ports are configured as a switch.  I have some port forwarding rules enabled and some static IP's for machines inside my network - that's pretty much it - it supports VLAN, but I've not really got a need for that at present.

I've had it since April and apart from firmware updates that require a reboot and a rather unexpected power cut a few weeks ago, mine has been up for 100% - it's never missed a beat. 

Highlighted
Rising star
Message 19 of 27
Flag for a moderator

@h1jfg wrote:

Don't need QoS.
With 390Mbps downstream not really an issue. 
Streaming from internet sources such as Netflix and Amazon is perfectly fine at 4K without any prioritisation.
I also stream 4k from personal media server (Plex) at over 75Mbps and internal Ethernet switching works just fine. 
So not looking for QoS from router at all.

I'm  curious when you stream 4k from netflix/anazon what does your BQM look like. On my 200 connection it clearly shows as impacting latency (the stream itself is fine)

Edit -  BTW streaming at 1080p doesnt impact BQM latency - just 4k

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 20 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I'm going to order the EdgeRouter X.