cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad WiFi even after putting into modem mode with router

KevyL
Tuning in

Hi everyone,

I have constant WiFi dropouts ever since I joined virgin almost 2 years ago. When it came round to contract renewal last year I had actually almost changed only they came back and promised to double my speed to 200mb and sent an engineer out.

The engineer tweaked settings and put a WiFi booster upstairs but it didn't help.

I have tried putting superhub 3 into modem mode and used a tp link archer c60 v2 but the WiFi is exactly the same as if I was still using the superhub 3. The coverage stops as soon as I go into the kitchen. With my previous provider (BT) I had coverage almost at the end of my street.

I have also tried using the tp link archer router as a wireless access point but still it has not improved my WiFi signal or drop outs at all..

Thankfully my contract is due to end in October so I finally have the option to switch. The only problem is I do like the TV package virgin media have with bt sport and would have kept it if I could get acceptable WiFi.

Has anyone any idea what I could do to try and fix my WiFi one more time before I go back to bt? Everything works perfectly when wired. 

56 REPLIES 56

Eeeps
Well-informed

Regarding the 5GHz band it's worth noting that the max transmit power for channels 36-64 is 200mW but for channels 100-140 is 1000mW.
Try the SH3 in the Band B range (channels 100-140).

The TP-Link C7 does not support that band in the UK I guess because DFS isn't supported.

Will try that tomorrow and report back,

Thanks 

Thanks @KevyL,did you get chance to try and if so, how did it go?

Regards

Steven_L

Getting living room retailed at the minute so haven't had a chance to try. Virgin media have got back in touch and have said they are sending out pods so I'll try them when they're here. 

Thank you for the update @KevyL.

Please let us know how the WIFI pods go and if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

So I've tried the WiFi pod sent out. I can now get 100mbs  speed in the bedroom and kitchen (paying for 200) whereas I could only get about 10/20 before and the connection was crap.

Connection seems a bit more stable now but still early days.

Will this thread keep updated.

HI KevyL,

Glad to hear that things seem to have improved with the WiFi Pods in place. Keep us posted with how you get on from here and if you need anything else.

Beth

Beth