Menu
rickj64
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Asus ax56u with hub3.

So decided to bite the bullet and try a Asus router with the sh3 before my 14 days cooling off period finishes . Due to excellent reviews I've gone for the Asus AX 56U and hopefully someone on the forum has installed the same . I know I need to put sh3 into modem mode and connect the two via ethernet cable but that's as far as I know until the router arrives . Ideally I would like all devises to connect without resetting all the password etc but no idea if this is possible .Any tips would be great to hopefully get it up and running and tested by Fri .

Regards.

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Community elder
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Asus ax56u with hub3.

This is the procedure to follow:

1. Navigate to 192.168.0.1
2. Log in to the Hub
3. Go to 'Modem mode' (on the left) and put the hub into modem mode
4. Wait until the bottom light on the Hub turns magenta / red (HUB 3) (can take about 5 minutes)
5. Turn off the Hub
6. Power on and set up your new router as per the manufacturers instructions - Set the same SSIDs as the hub if you want - then your devices should just reconnect!
7. Plug an ethernet cable (usually supplied with the new router) from port 1 on the Hub into the WAN (usually blue) socket on the new Router
8. Power on the Hub and wait about 5-10 minutes until it stabilises - You should have internet!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

conman33158
Super solver
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@rickj64 wrote:

Ideally I would like all devises to connect without resetting all the password etc but no idea if this is possible

This will not be possible, even if you put the Asus routers SSID and password the same as the Virgin hub you will still need to connect all the devices to the new router.

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos
rickj64
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for advising... obviously 2 different opinions so will see how it goes .if I have to reconnect everything then so be it .

Main hope is superior coverage to the useless sh3 

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Community elder
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Apologies - I was pretty sure that as I had named my SSIDs the same as previous with the same passwords - my devices connected fine!

(it was a while ago and I have slept / drank wine since then)

Follow @conman33158's advice! (feels odd typing follow Con Man's advice....)

You will undoubtedly get superior coverage!! 🙂

conman33158
Super solver
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It usually depends on the devices that connect to it as some devices see a different Mac address and simply crap themselves but because I use an Asus RT-AX56U this was the case with that particular router before I put it into an AiMesh setup 🙂 Who knows, you might be different but you won't know until you try 🙂

Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos
rickj64
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ok thanks. Think will just set up with details which come with the Asus then reconnect all my devises currently 18. I have 3 devises cabled in my sh3 so presume this is a simple plug into my Asus router once it's set up.

Thanks for advice

lotharmat
Community elder
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

ABsolutely! - Only one port on the hub will work but all the ports on the ASUS will - just swap 'em over and all should work!