Menu
Highlighted
Evansp01
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Alternative router to handle my many smart-home devices?

Hello.

I am a proud smart-home geek, with many (up to 25 including laptop, phones etc) smart bulbs, smart plug and other WiFi devices around my relatively small home. I’m growing increasing frustrated at experiencing device drop-outs, meaning Alexa can’t occasionally connect to my LIFX bulb for example - and I believe this to be because I have exceeded the number of devices supported by my SH3. 

I have the Vivid 350 package giving me the best broadband has to offer.

Please can people recommend alternative routers to the SH3 which will support many more smart devices but also retain the speed? I’ve spent a few hours googling and the choices are overwhelming. And so are some of the prices!

Do I need MU-MIMI? Or Tri-band? What is the lowest MBPS should I be looking at?

Ideally someone will suggest a tried and tested router that works perfectly for them, and it will be less or equal to £100. Happy to pay more if it will give me considerable improvements - but I just want fast speed with good coverage and no drop outs.

Ive seen a couple of comments on other routers in other forums but they are dated and worried the technology may have moved on since those specs.

Thanks in advance 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Alternative router to handle my many smart-home devices?

You are going to need the hub 3 to run in modem mode with a router I tell you now.

ASUS are do good hard and this is on offer.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AC85P-Wireless-AC2400-Adaptive-Generation/dp/B07M7DZ85C/ref=sr_1_1?...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

What speeds are you getting with the hub in modem mode?

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Have you tried seperating the 2.4 and 5ghz wireless bands? Simply by renaming them you are certain which device is connected to which band? You do have a lot of devices but the majority of smart devices wouldn’t need exceptional bandwidth and by putting your better devices which support 5ghz onto that band should increase throughput considerably all being well.

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Super solver
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You should consider using a couple of Ubiquiti Access Points e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Networks-UAP-AC-LITE-Access-Point/dp/B016K4GQVG

That way you can place them to give maximum wireless coverage, rather than rely on a single point router broadcast.

They are POE so only need an ethernet cable for the backhaul and they don't look bad when installed into the bargain  🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
SpecOfSand
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Middle of the road user here, my Apple router has had its day, as my son keeps telling me, get a replacement.

Easier said than done, for me, so much choice, I am looking at the Asus RT-AC85P as the router & the VM super-hub 3 as the modem. I cannot find ref. to these two being paired together?  £105.00 on Amazon seems fair for the Asus if it does the job. Has anyone paired these two & with what results, failing that what would people recommend from the Asus range, preferably newer models that would, hopefully, offer bang up to date technology, though this isn’t always the case. I would seriously consider other brands if they were impressive enough & around that £100.00 mark.

Set-Up  -  VM hub 3 - Apple router - Hive2 - wired connection to 2nd computer - VM V6 Cable Box - Xbox One - iPad - 3 Smartphones - Laptop - A Cat Called Baz(no bearing whatsoever)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos