Menu
javadudd
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

ASUS Router Users

For ASUS router users who have updated their firmware recently or are seeing a message on their router “ISP's DHCP does not function correctly”

This link may help you

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1043591/ 

Tags (2)
BatletUK
Up to speed
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: ASUS Router Users

Interesting. I had a similar problem when using stock  firmware a few revisions back which was eventually sorted by turning aggressive mode off.

Current Merlin firmware doesn't have an issue with aggressive mode on, but it's good to be aware of potential problems 🙂

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

use merlin on RT-AX88U and have never had any issues

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
javadudd
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

For info.

This happened to me again twice within 2 days and I spent hours trying to resolve - including trying backdated firmware and the suggested latest stable Merlin firmware all of which failed to resolve the issue. 😫

What did work the first of those two times was eventually a change in modem to router cat 6 cable which was enough to get a WAN IP from the DHCP server.

The second time it happened the resolution was to swap over the Older AC68 for the Newer AC68 - reconfigure as the main router and leave all other connections off the router until reboot of router then connect to modem and power on(having checked the modem was connected to the internet before powering off).

I know the lease is something like 6 or 7 days but in practice the WAN IP very rarely changes so with that in mind I've taken note of the following.

(This will only work if the WAN IP hasn't actually been reassigned by the  DHCP server)

WAN IP

Subnet Mask

and Gateway

which if you select Static IP under the WAN - Internet Connection - Basic Config

you can enter manually - save it then reboot the router and check that it works.

Once that has been done - save a copy of the config for future reference - I normally out a date code against it.

You can then return the WAN Connection type back to Automatic IP and reboot - hopefully all will still be working as normal.

Should the problem reoccur - simply change the Automatic IP to Static IP and all your previously save setting should be in there.

Apply - reboot and you should get your connection back so long as the WAN IP hasn't been released and changed.

HTH anyone maintain a more stable connection at least until the fix the DHCP problem from Virgin  - or possibly a firmware glitch from ASUS 😇

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like an ASUS issue. Though it doesn’t exist with mine 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos