cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A tale of frustration with a Hub 4

kayakmoose
On our wavelength

Ok so I am about to throw out the somewhat unintelligent hub 4.

I called customer service a while back as the hub gets so hot that it begins to smell.

An engineer arrived and he told me that I was expecting too much from it.

I explained that I am only using two of the available ethernet ports and that for most of the time both computers in use for various activities from basic browsing to gaming.

Apparently this is too much for my Hub 4 and as I also have a families worth of phones connected by WiFi my poor Hub 4 won't be able to handle the load.....

Well what a load of tosh.

So virgin please explain how a router that is designed for home use which I presume includes the average nuclear family can struggle when this when launched was your flagship hub?

Why does it seem like my router is about to turn into a China crisis event everytime one of my kids plays fallout and the other is streaming an episode of Joe Rogan?

Sure I'm downstairs hoping that my Alexa won't throw another strop because she happens to be less than 20ft away from the predicted meltdown site when my Hub 4 goes critical.

Whilst I am on the subject, what does virgin media have against bathrooms? I don't shower in a Faraday cage yet you can probably get a better signal from voyager 1 which has just left our solar system. Unfortunately I am unable to stream from voyager but the point remains valid.

So my latest plan after going online was to install the virgin connect app and search out the blackspots. I simple task that was made impossible by the fact that the app does not support the Hub 4. 

Still not defeated I heard on the virgin media grapevine that you can order boosters by logging in to your Virgin account.

Sensing victory and possibly saving mankind form a global meltdown event I clicked the link only to be swiftly booted in the fandangos by a message telling me that due to unprecedented request virgin have suspended any further request for booster pods.

So now I am sat in my Faraday caged bathroom using my phone data to send this message.

Help me please. 

6 REPLIES 6

g0akc
Problem sorter

Get your own good wireless router - use the hub in modem mode. 

And - If you need to check for ‘blackspots’ or tweak WiFi setup use a good free WiFi analyser app.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

kayakmoose
On our wavelength

I have amended the title as it seems that no member of VM has picked up this post.

I am now worried that the smell from the hub plus the heat is indicative of a serious problem and I now going to switch of the router at night.

Are they any tales of hubs catching fire?

Shouldn’t happen but see Here  

I recall some other routers (not Virgin) melting and dripping plastic onto floors/carpets….

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @kayakmoose,

Thank you for making this post regarding your Hub 4, I am so sorry to hear that your Hub is getting so hot that it starts to smell. This is concerning and I am worried it may be overheating. I would like to arrange another technician visit for you so that we can swap the Hub if it is faulty. I shall send you a private message to confirm your address now. Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right corner and get back to me when you can 🙂

Best wishes,

Serena

Hi. I have replaced to your pmand provided according not details.

Would it be faster if I call CS and report it as a fault?

Many thanks

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @kayakmoose

Thank you for responding to private message. I am pleased to confirm we have booked an engineer visit for you to get your Hub 4 overheating issues resolved. Please do pop back and let us know how everything is working for you following the visit.

Best wishes,

Serena