cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1gig broadband max traffic rate number

dalepritchard81
On our wavelength

Hi - I have recently upgraded to the 1 gig broadband speed and have set up my hub 4 but still only seem to be getting speeds of up to 600mbps when directly connecting using an Ethernet cable.

Also when looking at the router config details for downstream max traffic rate, it seems to show 690000278 which I think means the 600mbps plan.

what should it be referencing for the 1gig plan and typically how long should the upgrade take after activating the hub 4?

10 REPLIES 10

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@dalepritchard81 wrote:

<snip>  what should it be referencing for the 1gig plan and typically how long should the upgrade take after activating the hub 4?

Something like 12700000 or similar.  You're correct about your 600 mb.

You can try a 60 second pinhole reset as below;
Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible.

This might force the update config file down, or if this fails, call it in to VM.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

HI dalepritchard81

Thankyou for bringing this to our attention 

I have checked a few things from here and can see you are definitely on 1gb

Can you please go to Samknows and see what speed is coming into the Hub

Also what cable have you got connected for the wired speed test and is the device testing capable of 1gb speeds 

Gareth_L

Hi,

I have tried following the link to SamKnows but it's stating that no router is found despite the router definitely being in router mode?

Also the test is being done through a Deco mesh 5 device that has an ethernet cable hooked up to the router and getting a max speed of circa 700mbps.

Sorry I’m now getting the following data:

Speed to Virgin Media Hun 4: 1145mbps

Speed to Computer: 231mbps

Appreciate the speed to computer will not be the same as speed to hub but would have expected the gap between the two numbers to be narrower.

Hi Dale, thank you for getting back to us. 

Having looked on our systems we are not picking up any issues what should be affecting the signal coming into your home. 
I have been unable to confirm the speeds coming in through SamKnows as you are in router mode. 

Are you able to remove the hub from router mode, and run the test again so we can identify if there is an issue with your hub, switch, cable, or computer?

You mentioned earlier in the thread you have been able to get speeds up to 600mbps when using an ethernet cable - was this on the same device as the most recent test was run on? Was this speed achieved when using your hub in Router or Modem mode? 
All the best. 

Molly

Hi Molly,

Thanks for getting back to me. The hun is currently in modem mode and is hooked up to a Deco 5 Mesh which seems to be generating speeds of up to 750mbps between the hub and the Deco mesh.

Question I have is whilst I appreciate the speed from the Deco Mesh shouldn’t necessarily be getting close to the 1gig range, I would expect the speed to be closer to 1 gig between the hub and deco mesh.

Any ideas whether the deco mesh hardware is restricted in terms of speed it can handle from the hub 4?

Thanks for getting back to us dalepritchard81, I've taken a look at the connection and equipment and all of the level's are within the spec's we'd expect to see. As you have mentioned the Hub is in Modem mode to be used with your Mesh System so we're unable to get details in regards to the speeds available at the Hub to see if this is where the issue comes from.

If you could pop the Hub into router mode for a few hours we should then be able to get some more details to look into this further for you. Can we also ask what category ethernet cable you're using between the Hub and the Mesh System? these range from cat 1 up to cat 8 (as this is capable of upto between 25gbps and 40gbps this would be overkill) but we would recommend at least a cat 6 which is capable of 1gbps.

Rob

Thanks for the response.

I think the Ethernet cable going from hub to deco mesh is cat 5 so will upgrade to cat 6 to see if this makes a difference.

CAT5 is limited to 100Mbps.

You probably have CAT5E, hence the higher speeds, so CAT6 won’t make any difference.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi