cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

“You can’t use that password. Please choose another”

Jessvance
Joining in

I am new customer to Virgin and have been trying to gain access to my online account since October 2022. I have tried on multiple occasions, browsers and devices to register for an account and always get the same default message “you can’t use that password. Please choose another”. I have chose many passwords each fulfilling your criteria of 8 characters in length and consisting of numbers. This is clearly a long standing issue as your forum boards are awash with the same complaints. Please can you rectify this so that I am able to at least see my bills. As a big company I would expect an issue that has been reported for over a year to have been rectified well before now.

5 REPLIES 5

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Jessvance The password criteria allow much longer passwords than 8 characters.  However, some resolved reports of this issue seem to imply that, despite the wording of the message, the problem is actually with the email address/username rather than the password.

Virgin Media's password policy is:

8 to 64 characters
can only contain alphanumerical characters (a-z, A-Z, 0-9) and the following additional characters !@#&*_
must contains at least one letter and numerical character

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I apologise for my wording, I have tried many password options with a minimum of 8 characters. The notion that the problem could be with my email address is puzzling as it’s just a standard outlook account, nothing weird and wonderful. 

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey Jessvance, thanks for taking the time to join our help forum and post about your issues, a warm welcome to our community.

We're sorry to hear of the ongoing issues with your account registration online and password error.

We'd love to help, this is a problem that has affected some customers in the past however in their majority our customers do not face an problem signing up, so this would be need reporting individually.

Have you previously raised this with our teams over a call or chat and if so, what's the advice we offered following this?

Also, have you tried to follow the process on different browsers and/or devices and have you made sure your password is at least 8 characters long, starting with a letter and including letters, numbers and special characters?

Please, let us know a bit more on this and we're eager to assist further.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I contacted your customer service helpline yesterday and was advised I would receive a call within 24 hours however, I have heard nothing further and it has now exceeded that window. 

I have tried every possible combination I can think of and none of the passwords are accepted. 

Thanks Jessvance,

So I can take a closer look at this I've popped you over a private message (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm