cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refeshing SIM data

Johnny4342
Tuning in

I received a new SIM at the beginning of May. Occasionally I get a message 'refreshing SIM data' when I'm using the internet (wifi). When this happens the internet session is interrupted and the page refreshed, which is inconvenient. Can you please advise on how I can stop this? Thanks

94 REPLIES 94

RG490
Joining in

I'm having the exact same issue, has been terrible since moving onto 5G sim back in March. I did upgrade handset too in July and was hoping this would resolve but the last 6 months have been almost impossible to use in my local area. When I check the coverage checker it is strong 3G/4G all around here but I have emergency calls and no bars all throughout the day.

I did try and raise a case with the fault team who said I was now using Vodafone as a provider and they wouldn't move me back to EE. I used to get full signal with VM (EE) and had 60-100mb download speeds. Now I'm lucky if I have signal.

My work phone (EE) is full signal all the time, no issues there.

Is there anything that can be done? Aren't new VM sims now via O2, is that any better?

Hi @RG490 thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

I am really sorry to hear you're having issues since the SIM migration.  We've not currently got any immediate plans to migrate to O2 SIMS.  Can I ask if you've spoken to our technical team and if so, what advice you were given?

Regards

Lee_R

Hi Lee

Well initially when I reported the issue I was complaining of slow speeds, I immediately saw my mobile data drop from around 60-100mb where I live to something around 1mb-5mb depending on time of day. The guys on the live chat said, this is because you've moved from our EE masts to VDF and that this is what is now to be expected (hence why I asked to be moved back even though I'm now on a 5G SIM). 

I'm in a city centre, I am in a new build and my speed is pretty much unusable at home so I'm perm on WiFi. The newest issue is that the signal just to my mobile is so bad that I drop off the network entirely. SIM Refreshing pops up multiple times an hour and my phone keeps requesting I input my number. 

I work in IT, I'm technologically savvy so I've read through multiple things online. I've refreshed my settings but quite simply the SIM is not working where I live despite the online checker confirming strong indoor/outdoor 4G signal. The only place I'd expect this to happen would be a remote area, sat in an old cottage with thick walls.

If it's a SIM issue let me know as I'd like a replacement, I'm perplexed at how bad the signal here is on the VDF masts as I cannot get much more central in a city of ~200k people.

Cheers

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi RG490

Thank you for your reply and for providing details of the issue. 

I have taken a look at your area to check what cell towers are local to you and although, as you have stated, you live in a city centre there are not very many towers local to you. 

The closest tower to yourself does appear to be operating without any issues and you should be receiving a good signal. 

With this in mind, I would be happy to look in to a Sim replacement to see if this would help to resolve the issue. 

I will need to grab a few more details so I will pop you over a private message now and this will be available via the purple envelope on the top right of this page. 

Speak soon, 

Nat

agamik
Tuning in

Hi all,

I start to having same problem, when I am calling to someone I just ending my call. I look at mobile and see Refreshing SIM data. Mostly happen at home when I WIFI calling,

Thanks

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Agamik,

Thanks for your post 🙂 

I am sorry to hear you are having issues.

Can you let me know what handset it is you have?

Have you rebooted your phone did it help?
Zoie

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi RG490,

Thanks for messaging with us, I know some time has passed since we sent a new sim. How are your services looking?

Zoie

I have the same issue with my Samsung. I've already spoken to Virgin and had a new SIM sent having tried all the other options suggested on this thread, but still getting the same issue. The option to scan networks isn't available in my settings, nor do I have this wi-fi calling option that the others are talking about. The SIM works in my husband's non-Samsung phone. I struggle to be able to make any phone calls with my phone. This has only started in the last week or so. I even tried a factory reset which made no difference. 

Is it always Samsung phones with this issue? I'm pretty much only reporting this to add to the information being collected for this issue, as I'm pretty much resigned to the fact I need a new phone.

Hi @Rosey_Rivka,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am so sorry to hear you're having this issue. I appreciate you state that you've tried a few things, but would you please mind clarifying exactly what diagnostics and troubleshooting you've carried out thus far? This is so we don't repeat anything where possible, but also so we don't miss anything either.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi, weve gone through all the steps like switching to 2d, flight mode on ans off, swapping sims, cleaning sim, and finally getting a new sim, doing a factory reset even and still getting the message.

I suspect the sim reader is faulty in phone. Time to get a new one!