cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

too expensive for a rise of £12

crackerjack
Joining in

Sorry I know this is the wrong board but am annoyed at the service I didnt receive. Have just spent 30 mins trying to sort out my tv broadband package . There's a advert on virgin site that says I can have the same size package £74 as it stands.Theyre going to up it another £12. The advert I received said I could have the same deal but for £39 a month. Was told we do a loyalty price. I said I'd been with virgin since 1992. She said in order to get that price I would have to be a new customer. She also said that we had no contract at the moment. I said well ok lets set up a new contract at £39 for 18 months. Was told you cant do that. In the end I just a couldnt understand what she was saying clearly and said to forget it for now. So I guess I'm looking for somewhere to complain to.Any help/ideas would be appreciated

7 REPLIES 7

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@crackerjack wrote:

Sorry I know this is the wrong board but am annoyed at the service I didnt receive. Have just spent 30 mins trying to sort out my tv broadband package . There's a advert on virgin site that says I can have the same size package £74 as it stands.Theyre going to up it another £12. The advert I received said I could have the same deal but for £39 a month. Was told we do a loyalty price. I said I'd been with virgin since 1992. She said in order to get that price I would have to be a new customer. She also said that we had no contract at the moment. I said well ok lets set up a new contract at £39 for 18 months. Was told you cant do that. In the end I just a couldnt understand what she was saying clearly and said to forget it for now. So I guess I'm looking for somewhere to complain to.Any help/ideas would be appreciated

The question of new customer pricing versus existing customer 'loyalty' is asked and answered on here regularly. Here is a recent topic

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/Why-oh-why-does-loyalty-get-punishe...

Read the helpful advice from Andrew-G at message #5 on the business of renegotiating.

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi crackerjack,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

We always balance our prices with the need to continue investing in our network, products and services.
Like many businesses, we’re experiencing rising costs due to inflation. We are not immune to rising costs, primarily due to wider economic changes from rising inflation.
We’re seeing growing demand for data – with usage growing by more than 10% each year. Last year, we invested more than £2bn in our networks, which contributed to average broadband speeds increasing more than 40%, while helping to make sure our customers stayed connected and were able to keep using our services more and more.

Alex_Rm

Thanks Alex but it doesn't really answer my question. I Was told I am not on a contract at the moment just some ordinary tariff. I said if I have no contract then surely I can have a new one for the £39 a month instead of the one that I'm on which has exactly the same stuff but they're going to update it from £74.25 to £86.95. Plus trying to make myself clear to a young lady that couldn't really understand what I wanted. She spoke English but with such a thick accent I couldn't understand her and kept asking her to repeat what she was saying. Are there any English people that work for Virgin on problems or are they all Indian I think it was

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Forget the new customer discount for starters - as mentioned above, you're not a new customer and this is not how VM operate.

Look at the undiscounted price for your package, once all your time-limited discounts are removed. Now compare against the price you can get your services for, from other suppliers.

There's the comparison you need to go to VM retentions with.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

we have been with Virgin Media since 1992 when it was Diamond Cable. We know the way their system works, They have tried this a couple of times on us but we managed to beat them down to a reasonable price. Unfortunately not this time at the moment. Not bothered about getting a dot or whatever else was there. Not bothered about volt either. Not bothered about the increase in speeds that was on offer or increased data. Just want what we've got for a lower price. We have no contract so signing up for a new one is good . Bit harsh we think

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Two things here..

1: "Not bothered about Volt" is fair enough, you need to choose the best supplier for each of your services, and I wouldn't choose O2 for my mobile provision either. But VM do use multi-buy discounting, and if it's cheaper to have a bundle with mobile than without - then no-one's forcing you to use the mobile SIM.

2: "Just want what we've got for a lower price" - you're effectively saying to VM "I want more discounts", you must therefore make it worth their while to do so. Find alternative provision for your services, at a price you are willing to cancel VM to achieve. Then offer to give your disconnection notice if they won't meet the price.

If you can't find that leverage, then it may be decision time for you.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @crackerjack thanks for your reply here.

As mentioned here, you seem to be referring to a new customer discount that you've seen on the advert. As an existing customer, you would not be eligible for this but we'll always do our best to provide the best existing customer offers available. 

In terms of our agents, we have both UK and overseas call centres - these are available simultaneously and it is just whichever agent you're put through to at the time your call is routed through.

If you still need help with your package discussion, please do call us on 150 / 0345 454 1111. 

Many thanks

Tom_W