cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone else being misled on new contracts

gwilson6838
Tuning in

It is increasingly obvious to me that retentions and live chat are telling customers that their new contracts will have no price increases during the life of the contract then sending out a new contract where this is contradicted. I have.written back saying I reject the new contract, have a verbal contract and asking for sars to back up my claims. If this was the case when you negioatated a new contract do not assume because you have a print out of the live chat this will be of any use. If it is over 120 days you will also have a problem with getting a sar. my question is “is this a deliberate ploy by VM and if so shouldnt Ofcom do something about it”

12 REPLIES 12

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Differences between what is negotiated and what is put on VM's systems are common, and although the law is firmly on the customer's side, unless they spot it and act to preserve the evidence, AND are prepared to haul the company to Ombudsman Services if need be, then the company get away with.

Is it deliberate?  Not actively at management level, but the company put so much value on new sales and retentions that poor sales behaviour is known and tolerated, and has been for many years, so differences between what was agreed and what's on system is Normal For Virgin Media.  Field sales can be even worse than the telephone agents for mis-selling or outright lying, that too seems to be NFVM.  There's also many complaints about sales practices that involve VM selling O2 contracts as a bundle.  

Should Ofcom investigate?  You bet.   But they probably won't.  VM have regularly breached Ofcom's General Conditions (in other industries these would be licence conditions, in telecoms it's assumed that anybody if fit to offer services, and then Ofcom hope they comply with the conditions), VM are always bouncing around the bottom end Ofcom's quarterly Hall of Shame, yet Ofcom publish that and sit on their hands year after year, doing nothing.

Individually, informed, active customers can enforce their rights.  Others, including the vulnerable will just get crushed under VM's poor behaviours and poor customer service.  So long as sufficient people renew with VM, then there's no reason why the company will change.  VM's bad-hair CEO is one of the highest paid executives in the UK, at £8.8m in 2021 - he thinks he leads a successful company with great service and a respected brand.  With a pre-tax salary  of over £170,000 a week, do you think he feels any need for change?  Even if the company had an epiphany and suddenly decided it wanted to change, the problem is endemic and cultural - that would take a real leader (of which VM have none) around seven years of hard work, the replacement of most senior managers, the change of all performance incentives, new objectives, and monitoring systems.  This is not going to happen.

And that's why I'm now with a small ISP (Aquiss) who put customer service as one of their key priorities.  Other options for those who conclude they want a company that care include AAISP, CIX, IDNet, and uno.  They don't play the large ISP game of massive discounts for 18 months and swingeing in-contract price rises, so will appear more expensive, and their offer may be differently structured to large ISPs' so check what you get.  But there's a price to customer service, you pay it or you don't.

Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @gwilson6838 

Thanks for posting on our community forum and sorry to hear about the issue with your package

I do apologise that you're unhappy with the change in price, if you contact our team on 150 or 0345 454 1111 they'll be happy to look at your package with you.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I have raised issue with a complaint which generated s reply which did not address any of my complaints and indeed suggested that the complaint had not been read  having lost any sort of trust with VM there is no way I would speak to anyone again. All communication must be through text or email such that I have proof of what is being said

Hey gwilson6838, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear this.

I have taken a look from our side and I can see you've spoke to the team recently, did they manage to help you on this at all? Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

I have not spoken to anyone  Still waiting for a reply to my complaint which isnt derisory

Okay no problem thank you for letting me know.

Please can you advise me what has actually happened is this to do with the recent price rise? Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

my issue is as stated in my complaint that I was told through live chat and then again by retentions that my new contract would have no price rises during the life of the contract and getting a contract which stated the opposite. I have requested a sar for both and suprise suprise no record of either was kept. I now believe this is a deliberate policy to mislead customers to resign and these calls are deliberately not being recorded. I was with a neighbour yesterday when exactly the same circumstances occurrd. I am still awaiting feedback from my complaint before I raise the issue with Offcom

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for sharing more on this case, gwilson6838.

Sorry to see what's happened so far, could you please advise whether you had previously received a contract copy for your new deal at the point of sale and if that was reflecting the services and package price correctly on it?

Also, not all our calls are recorded however when placing a DSAR request we always provide with all the recorded info we have available.

Please, visit our complaints code of practice here for more on how we handle your cases and find out what's the steps following our resolution offer.

You may also track your case down on this link to view it's progress and status.
Tell us how you get on,  always happy to advise more in case you have more questions or concerns.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I received the contract after the sale was agreed with the retentions dept. I also have my own unofficial print out from the live chat