cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Hello

ALF28
Super solver

Puzzled- I notice when I log into the virgin media website the last few days, it offers me this option-

Set up Device Authentication

This is either a fingerprint, facial recognition or a pin which is defined as a 7-digit pin number for Microsoft edge to log in to virginmedia.com, I do log in with a Microsoft email.

Not sure if this is for the VM app, but I I have not selected a new login method, so I press continue and just still use my VM password on my windows laptop.

Is this VM or Microsoft windows asking to set up device authentication, and what is the advice on this please.

Note- I already use  device pins to log into windows on my 2 laptops, which have different pins and Microsoft accounts (not synchronised)

I think the 23-digit VM password I use would be more secure than a 7-digit numerical pin?

alf28

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for sending the screenshots over to me @ALF28, I have looked further into this and it has been confirmed that we have launched device authentication as part of the upgrades that we are doing to our website and how we keep our customers data secure. Supported platforms include Windows Hello, Android OS 7.0 or later, MacOS, and iOS 14 or later.

Regards,

Steven_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

ALF28
Super solver

VM login asking to set up a specified 7 digit pin number-

I am still unsure with that explanation that it is microsoft (edge browser), as it also happens with google chrome and firefox browsers.

This windows security notice  to set up authentication  only happens with the the VM login, all other logins to banks, online shops etc are normal.

It happens on both my laptops, but only after logging into VM for  a second time.

Is this extra security connected with the new section on  the VM webpage setings-new feature called login authentication- Your registered devices.

Please advise, can you check if VM are rolling out this change?

I would think it may be a new system where the pin number works for a specfic device/computer in a sililar way that microsoft monitor activity.

alf28

Thanks for coming back to me @ALF28, I can surely get this checked further for you.

Please could you send a screenshot over of the message that you are getting, so that I can pass this onto the team to check into further.

Please send the screenshot via private message to myself.

Regards,

Steven_L

Thanks, I have sent several screenshots and messages regarding the authentication notice, via private message so I hope you reply with any findings.

alf28

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for sending the screenshots over to me @ALF28, I have looked further into this and it has been confirmed that we have launched device authentication as part of the upgrades that we are doing to our website and how we keep our customers data secure. Supported platforms include Windows Hello, Android OS 7.0 or later, MacOS, and iOS 14 or later.

Regards,

Steven_L

WINDOWS HELLO

My laptops already have the windows hello pin set up, which is specific to each computer device and they say that is more secure than using password access as it only works one machine.

I therefore do not need set this up as I am using a hello pin already, unless I wanted to change to facial recognition (camera) or fingerprint (would need a scanner)

My tablet does not have up to date android so could not be used anyway.

I am not sure how virgin interfaces with Microsoft systems to add this extra security, and have not come across this before, except where some websites allow access via google, facebook etc, so presume it may be similar to that, and not sure if this negates the use of the virgin password and uses the windows hello only so you would be automatically logged in to VM with windows hello?

I am still using the VM password until there is more feedback on this issue from members of the community regarding registering with virgin for windows hello so have not activated the new feature.

I see the new section of the webpage now shows devices last used to log in, mine had an attached windows device which I have removed, may have been where I had not logged out.

Also I am unsure if this would be similar to an app in microsoft giving access via VM to the microsoft acccount, I usually do not allow any apps that can bypass security of microsoft, and have in the past deletd apps out such as facebook that give access.

Device authentication- is it optional?

If more than one device is used, I presume each one would need to be set up with authentication.

How would this work if if using an unknown device, would this prevent login.?

There may be other types of devices using linux, chromebook etc. that may not be compatible?

I do think that 2FA -two factor authentication with a text message/code is the best method used by banks, google, outlook etc.

I have not activated this new security system and virgin have not released any notifications or news regarding these new device authentication options.

Perhaps it is just a trial at this stage?

alf28

Hi alf28, 

Thanks for your post. 

When first logging in to the apps or websites using your My Virgin Media username and password and your device is compatible, you’ll be offered the opportunity to register that device for device authentication and be taken through the steps to set up. Users who are already logged in will be prompted to set up device authentication once their current login session has expired or they log out.
You will need to register each device you want to use for device authentication and will be able to register up to five devices. If you don't want to use the device authentication then you can opt not too. 

• Once set up, you can manage your registered devices in the Account Setting section of your My Virgin Media account. Here you’ll be able to:
  • View all registered devices
  • Rename devices (so they are easier for the customer to identify)
  • Remove a registered device

Please keep us posted on if you have any further queries or questions. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

franco
On our wavelength

Hi Kath_F,

I have been trawling the Community for an answer to the authentication issue. I share a lap top with my wife and we both have Virgin E-mail accounts (on my overall Virgin account) and we access each others accounts when necessary  Therefore we do not wish to set up face or fingerprint recognition for authentication.  (not sure this would work for 2 sets of authentication anyway.) We have strong password protection for the lap top (changed every 60 days) and also strong passwords for our e-mail accounts, so further authentication appears to be unnecessary.

I find the continual prompt to set up face or f'print  authentication when I log in annoying. You say in your response to alf28 "If you don't want to use the device authentication then you can opt not too." Is it possible then to remove this prompt from the log in screen?

Hi franco,

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the thread. The fingerprint/face ID is only for phones. Not laptops. Sorry for the confusion. 

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill