cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is it so hard to leave?

Veganfeet
On our wavelength

I've been with Virgin Media for five years and it's been okay until now; My contract is up so the price went through the roof. I chatted online to the retention team and they couldn't offer me a good reason to stay. I also spoke to the retention team and again I made it clear I didn't want to stay and why. I also chatted to the Whatsapp retention team twice and again they can't persuade me to stay. I just want to leave for another provider and have made arrangements with that other provider to do so.

So I want to cancel all my services with Virgin media and here is where the problems begin.

On each occasion of chatting, speaking and Whatsapping to retention I was 'transferred' to the 'Cancellation team' - and left hanging indefinitely. On the online chat I was transferred to Whatsapp - no choice. On whatsapp I waited a total of seven hours and was first connected with ANOTHER retention team, who then transferred me onto no one. Again today the same thing has happened. Call -Put on indefinite hold once it's clear I want to cancel. Online chat - transferred to whatsapp once it's clear I want to cancel. Whatsapp - transferred to no one once it's been established I want to cancel.

I filed a complaint about the process and despite requesting cancellation of all services as a satisfactory resolution have not had that addressed.

I have written to Virgin media at the address in Sunderland - but have my doubts that it will be actioned. It was hard enough to even find an address. Has anyone ever had any success with writing to VM?

So, I've made arrangements with another provider and have a date for their connection. I put this date in writing to VM as the date to end service - it's slightly more than 30 days from now to allow time for them to action it. I'm still trying to be connected with the 'cancellation team' but am starting to doubt they exist. The whole process has been so needlessly frustrating and tiresome - what has happened to VM? It used to be so easy to actually speak to a human being and their customer service in the past has been good. Is it just because I want to leave?

Has anybody on here had any success in arranging to leave VM? If so, what worked for you? Have I taken a wrong step somewhere in the process?

I hope someone on here who took the time to read this has had more success than me.

Why is it so hard to leave?...

48 REPLIES 48

Fed100

It seems VM's billing rolls on as normal until the final bill is produced. The final bill will credit any periods billed after the disconnection date. I wrote to VM and asked whether in the meantime the customer is expected to carry on paying for services that have already been disconnected. VM treated my letter as a billing complaint, ducked my question and said "Your bills remain valid on the account".  Also, the reply merely stated "A final bill will be generated and sent to you" with no mention of by what date.

Thanks for the reply – just really desperate now to see the back of all of this. It is making me ill. I wish I could see some signs of hope. I was so elated when they finally took notice that I wanted the service terminated and actioned this. Never thought that this would just move me to this stage of being expected to pay for no service. There must surely come a point at which they do have to let people leave. 

Hi Fed100,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry for any frustration you've had with your disconnection and billing. 

As other users have advised any date passed the end date of the services that are charges would be credited back. 

Have you had chance to speak with any of our agents regarding this? 

^Martin

Thanks for this helpful reply – I have spoken with your agents but have had inconsistent responses. A complaint reference number has now been issued. Unfortunately, in informing of this Virgin Media has cited a different account number from the one I have quoted and for which this issue relates to – i.e. someone is now assigned to investigate this issue but will do so by looking at a different account.

It is all just so very frustrating - someone is now going to spend up to 28 looking at the issue I have raised and there appears no way of getting the message across that they have been assigned by Virgin Media to look at the wrong account 

Fed100

Don't get your hopes up about something helpful coming from VM's response to your complaint.

Here's what I got:

"Here's what we offer as a resolution

Customer Experience > Internal feedback provided

We hope this works for you"

On the plus side VM did write back surprisingly quickly. The response was dated just 3 days after my letter was posted; though did take a further 7 days to be delivered.

Is what you are showing the complete response - i.e. there was nothing more ! ? - 

(If so I suppose that it does not matter that they have linked the issue I have raised with a different (wrong) account number from the one I cited to them)

It all just seems so odd. I have another provider. I pay more for a slower service but very happy to do so as so much easier to communicate with. 

I just wonder what people do in the end to resolve matters - is any external assistance helpful e.g. involving local MP? - Legal team? 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Fed100 wrote:

I just wonder what people do in the end to resolve matters - is any external assistance helpful e.g. involving local MP? - Legal team? 

From another topic, but similar issues, this is my understanding of the leaving process

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/Cancelled-My-Package-Just-Received-...

It is a generic process so, for some customers, they will use the service up to the very last day before disconnection and may well run up usage charges in arrears in that time and, after that, they may not return VM's equipment. VM have designed their processes to protect themselves from this and to tie in with their monthly billing cycle.

Can't say I specifically object to this but what is totally unacceptable is that there are plenty of topics building on here which seem to suggest VM are causing delays to the process of leaving by cutting off cancellation phone calls, turning disconnection requests into contract renewals, failing to provide returns packaging in a timely fashion which generates equipment charges and other such antics.

As far as complaining goes, would suggest you firstly log your experience with OFCOM using the links at message #11 above. Thereafter you should be complaining to VM and (when they return a totally meaningless, pick-list response) take the complaint to CISAS for arbitration.

Thank you - that insight into the leaving process re billing is helpful (if somewhat disconcerting) . If that was all clearly stated at the outset then the process would be less stressful. I had the experience others have mentioned with regard to the initial difficultly in getting the message across that I wanted to leave - after many long waits and going from one team to another on the phone I would get cut just as final conversation was being had re leaving. After several rounds of this I was surprised when I finally got to speak to someone who accepted that I was leaving - even received an email same day confirming. I have recently queried why I am still being billed. This has been logged as a complaint - even though I just wanted clarification on the matter. I have noticed that VM have given a different account number for the complaint investigation - i.e. not the account I contacted them about and clearly stated so not sure what the outcome of the investigation will be !