cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I reactivate broadband?

Bobd1690
Joining in

I had to go away for a few months for a family matter and just got back. I phoned to speak with someone about reactivating the broadband and paying the bill. They took the money and then after being passed around to different operators I was told that I would need to register for a new account. Does anyone know why they couldn't just switch it back on after the bill was settled instead of setting me up as a new customer? While speaking with the different operators the language barrier was a definite issue. I still have the router too.  

6 REPLIES 6

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Bobd1690 wrote:

I had to go away for a few months for a family matter and just got back. I phoned to speak with someone about reactivating the broadband and paying the bill. They took the money and then after being passed around to different operators I was told that I would need to register for a new account. Does anyone know why they couldn't just switch it back on after the bill was settled instead of setting me up as a new customer? While speaking with the different operators the language barrier was a definite issue. I still have the router too.  

Before you went away, how did you terminate your VM account? Or did you go away and just stop paying the monthly VM subscription? Or something else?

I just went and left it for a few months.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Bobd1690 wrote:

I just went and left it for a few months.

Without paying for those few months while you were away?

Unfortunately not. I was struggling financially and the broadband wasn't high on my list of priorities. I have it paid up to date now though. When I phoned I explained that I was wanting to have the service reactivated and paid for. They told me that was ok and then took my payment details. Shouldn't they have told me that I would have to set up a new account when I told them my intentions? 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Bobd1690 wrote:

Unfortunately not. I was struggling financially and the broadband wasn't high on my list of priorities. I have it paid up to date now though. When I phoned I explained that I was wanting to have the service reactivated and paid for. They told me that was ok and then took my payment details. Shouldn't they have told me that I would have to set up a new account when I told them my intentions? 

It's not clear if you mean you told them of your intentions to stop paying for a few months or you mean your intentions later on to pay what was owed and reactivate the account. In any event, VM's aim will be to simply recover any outstanding money that they think you owe them and get you to pay up.

You will need the VM forum team to advise on any reactivation process or new account (if either is possible) but, if you simply stopped paying for several months, it would be unsurprising if VM had closed your account in that time. It would also be unsurprising if they declined to give you a new account.

You would also be advised to check your free statutory credit report. Links on the page below in the section 'Getting your credit reports'

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/help-with-debt/dealing-with-your-debts/collecting-i...

One of the few of VM's administrative systems which seems to work very efficiently are their debt recovery processes and there are plenty of topics on here where customers have had defaults logged against them (even for trivial sums) after leaving VM. Check your free statutory credit report to see if VM has recorded anything against you.

One of the VM forum team will reply here within a few days and will, hopefully, try to advise.

Hey @Bobd1690, thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media forums.

I'm sorry to hear about the confusion regarding the Virgin Media account.
If you were to leave the country and had any financial difficulties,, then we should have been informed as our team would have been able to assist.
It seems as if the account has been terminated with an outstanding payment taken for payment.
Please reach out to the team on 0800 183 1234 who will be able to help you setup a new account.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs