cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to cancel at end of contract to avoid fees? Confused!

artyrambler
On our wavelength

My contract ends on 30/9 and will go up by £25. When I rang there was nothing affordable for me so I was told I need to give 30 days notice to quit. I've since had an email which says 'but if you cancel after your contract ends on 13/09/2022 you won’t have any early termination fees to pay.'

Does that mean if I cancel before 13/9/2022 I will have to pay a fee? Or does it mean I can cancel 30 days before this?

I know it's probably obvious, but times are hard and I can't risk getting it wrong! Been a customer for 20+years so not had to cancel before!

Thanks in advance 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @artyrambler

If you would like to cancel your contract, you can use one of the following methods: https://virg.in/contactvm These include; calling us on 150 from a Virgin Media landline or 0345 454 1111 from any other number and sending a written request to Virgin Media, Sunderland, SR43 4AA. Alternatively, you can WhatsApp our support team on 07305 327 112. Please bear in mind the response will not be instant, but our team will get back to you. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Legally, you can issue notice of cancellation for a future date at any time.  In practice VM's poor systems only appear to allow you to do that within 60 days of the end date of a fixed term.  So you can give notice now (it doesn't have to be exactly 30 days, that's a minimum).

Having said that, as you may already have found, VM operate their cancellation process to even lower standards than the rest of their customer service (if such a thing is possible), and maybe it'll all go smoothly, but there's many reports here of bungled cancellations, long waits, disconnections and outright incompetence.

If you're genuinely looking to leave, then cancelling by post (recorded delivery) is perhaps the best option, since you can specify the end date clearly, and if there's any foul up you've got a copy of your letter and proof of receipt.  Be prepared for possible outbound retention deals during the notice period - if these aren't at new customer offer prices, you may be best off rejecting the retention offer.  Likewise, plan on the basis that you won't get an outbound retention call, or the offers aren't good enough, so line up your chosen alternative to install say a week before the VM line goes off, to allow for the possibility of delay, and to check that the performance is adequate before you leave VM.  If the new line isn't acceptable, then cancel that under your 14 day cooling off rights - if it is, wave goodbye to VM.

When choosing a new ISP, check out Ofcom complaints data

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. It was very helpful. I am indeed serious in leaving. I can't afford not too!

I didn't realise you could start a new service early! But your link to Ofcom was an eye opener. I had planned on going with the most complained about broadband adviser! So I'll be choosing another offer now. Thank you!

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @artyrambler, and I'm sorry to hear you're wanting to leave Virgin Media.

If you would like to avoid paying for the services beyond the discounted period, you would need to offer us a minimum of 30 days notice to cancel the services.

So for example, if my bills were produced on the 1st of each month, and the contract ended on 31/08/22, I would need to request a cancellation by 02/08/22 at the latest, to avoid paying the non-discounted service charge, that would be coming into play on 01/09/22.

If however I were to request that cancellation on today's date, this would result in my service running until 16/09/22.

I would then be required to make a full payment for the bill issued on 01/08/22 and the next bill 01/09/22 - with a refund being issued for the dates itemised beyond 16/09/22 in the bill produced.

In short you would need to ensure your desire to cancel is placed with us by 01/09/22 at the latest.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Thank you for your very helpful reply. I have been told on here that I should also put it in writing, I've looked on the Virgin help page about cancelling but it tells you to phone. Do you happen to know the correct address for the cancellations department at all?

Hi @artyrambler

If you would like to cancel your contract, you can use one of the following methods: https://virg.in/contactvm These include; calling us on 150 from a Virgin Media landline or 0345 454 1111 from any other number and sending a written request to Virgin Media, Sunderland, SR43 4AA. Alternatively, you can WhatsApp our support team on 07305 327 112. Please bear in mind the response will not be instant, but our team will get back to you. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley