cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin refusing to communicate with me when I try to cancel contract

Heather7000
Tuning in

I would like to cancel my broadband contract. I have been trying to get in touch with someone from Virgin Media for 3 days now. By phone, online chat, whatsapp messaging and formal complaints.

Nobody answers the phone, and then after about an hour it just cuts off and I have to start again.

Online chat only gives me the option of "continue by whatspp" or "come back later".

I have a whatsapp conversation that started 3 days ago and all I seem to get is either "do you still want help?" or "transferring you to another department"

I filed an official complaint. Their response was "please call us". I can't because nobody answers the phone. So I filed another complaint and they just closed it without any response.

Is this their tactic to stop me from cancelling my contract? I am now less than 30 days until the date I want to cancel. I have tried to give them notice but they're not responding. My next step will be to complain to the ombudsman as I refuse to continue my contract and pay them, just because, effectively, they're refusing to cancel it.

18 REPLIES 18

Oh, and I am definitely going to write to the Sunderland address to confirm the cancellation in writing. Not taking any chances with the phone line failing to act on my instructions.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@caite wrote:

Slammed phone down on Virgin and got straight on to new supplier - all set up quickly and easily. Transfer of landline number confirmed and installation date agreed. 

Hi @caite 

I'm not sure if the cancellation request would be actioned for two reasons.

1) There was already a regrade going through. VM systems can't process  a cancellation if another process is still ongoing.

2) If you slammed the phone down on VM before they had time to try and process the cancellation and advise you of the terms and process and had you agree again after listening to all the details they need to provide by law, then it may not have been processed because

A) They couldn't give all the information required and

B) once a call is either ended by the customer, the agent, or dropped, then the IVR system automatically transfers the next customer in the queue to the agent, and opens up the new customers account onscreen (providing that customers details have been recognised by the IVR).

Did you inform the agent you were transferring the number?

The agent would also have had to advise you that if you are transfering your phone number to another supplier then the telephone line needs to be active or the transfer won't take place.

Another supplier taking over the landline will cancel that part of the package you are on, once the number is ported, however if the correct processes have been followed the remainder of the package will be cancelled on the 30th day. . In the meantime you would receive an email advising your package had changed (due to the phone element being removed)

It's great that have had the foresight to also put your cancellation notice in writing  to Virgin Media Sunderland SR43 4AA

Hopefully you advised VM in your letter that you are in the process of transferring your phone number to another supplier to avoid any complications.

@caite wrote:

And apparently I can never come back to Virgin! Woman on the phone was quite clear even if I leave Virgin and try to come back - even if I wait 10 years, I will never, never, never be offered a new customer price - I will always have to pay the mug's supplement. I guess they've lost me for good then.

The agent is completely wrong on this score. Should you ever want to return to VM as a customer (which I doubt now) then you would be eligible to obtain new customer pricing 3 months after leaving.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks for the reply. I don't know what a regrade is so i have no idea if that is going on. It's certainly not something I asked for so I can't see how they could use it as an excuse to refuse to cancel.

I didn't slam the phone down mid-conversation - it was a terse goodbye with no "thank you", and I didn't discuss the phone line because I didn't know at that point if keeping a phone number was possible. I went into the conversation expecting to re-contract phone and broadband, but realised during the conversation that I'd be an idiot to keep paying money to a company that treats customers so badly. So just made the decision then and there.  I don't recall any talk about terms and process (although can't see why terms are involved with a cancellation) She did say I'd need to return equipment, and gave an end date though, so it felt like it was settled. But thank you for confirming my thoughts that belt and braces and a full written cancellation is necessary - I will make sure to take that step in case anything wasn't as it should be - to be fair the woman didn't sound the brightest.

I expect Virgin think I'm just playing the game of fake storming off and I'll phone back hoping to get a few £ knocked off the price - but that's their game, not mine. Life's too short.

I finally got a response on WhatsApp, 3 days after my initial request.

After trying for nearly an hour to convince me to stay, even though I told them there was nothing they could say to make me stay, they have finally cancelled my contract. 

They asked me "wouldn't it be a hassle for you to go through all the activation with a new supplier?" 🤣😂🤣 to which I replied "not as much hassle as trying to get in touch with virgin media"

I can see why people are waiting so long when they spend a whole hour trying to convince me to stay with them after such bad service.

But issue resolved, for me anyway, which is lucky as I had the letter ready to post on my way home.

Hi Heather7000, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you've been wanting to cancel your services but had difficulty getting through to the teams. 

The lines are busy at the moment and have been made worse by the technical issues we experienced over the weekend. The teams are working as quickly as they can to reach you though. I am glad you have been able to cancellation sorted though.

For anyone else reading the thread, the lines are open Monday - Friday: 8am - 9pm and Saturday - Sunday: 8am - 6pm. You can also text us via Whatsapp on 0753 305 1809. Replies aren't instant and can take a few hours however it does allow you to go about your day whilst waiting for a reply.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I am having a similar problem but not because of the price increase but because i have run into financial difficulties and trying to be realistic that i cannot afford to run a package going forward with Virgin. There is an outstanding bill that i am trying to commit to paying whist stopping all further charges, cancel my contract and have been on the phone for 1 hour and 13 minutes, 4 different departments all seeming to read from the same script only to be transferred to a 5th and cut off.

What on earth can i do, i just want to cancel my contract and i can't tell you how many times i have said that today. I am here on my own with a young child so i wouldn't be cutting off the phone line to have no way of her contacting someone in an emergency if i didn't have a serious financial problem.

I am absolutely disgusted with the customer service if you can even call it that and its making a stressful time even more stressful.

Just to add has anyone had any outstanding bills when you have written to the Sunderland address and did they deal with that issue aswell as cancelling your contract?

Huxley123
On our wavelength

You'll be getting plenty of contact once you have given your 30 day notice 🙂 .. the retention agents just don't understand that no means no.... 

Hi hlj1, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear that you are having difficulties with paying your bill. 

We're unable to make package changes or set up payment plans via the Community I'm afraid. 

You may be able to qualify for our Essentials package. This will help you to stay connected whilst lowering your bills. 

Let us know how you get on. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs