cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media asking for exactly 30 days notice

gurpswu
Dialled in

My contracts ends on the 3rd of July.

I called up today, 1st june,  and have attempted to give them more than 30 days notice of my intention to cancel my virgin media contract and have my services stop on the 3rd july.

they instead ignored me and have said they will not accept more than 30 days notice, and that i must call back on on the 3rd of june to cancel.

is this true?

20 REPLIES 20

Hi had the exact problem tonight,my contract for broadband  finishes  on the 24 of feb,phoned tonight to cancel giving more than the 30 day notice, was told i can’t,this is after 1hour of being bounced around,so she said I could cancel now and then be charged 5 pound for early disconnection ,😂😂this is absurd ,I’m giving 34 day notice and it’s not good enough,so my termination dated is the 18 of February,you couldn’t make it up.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Send your cancellation by post.  You can in law cancel at any time, but VM's primitive systems only allow for cancellation 60 days ahead, and as you've found the staff are incompetent to a level that is quite breathtaking.

Use recorded post, because chances are postal cancellations are handled with the same carelessness and ineptitude that VM apply to everything they do.  I'll find out in a couple of weeks if VM have properly processes both my telephone instruction and letter of cancellation.  

Hi Jlam1 👋, welcome to the community! Thank you for joining the thread. 

Sorry to hear you have also experienced this issue, and were unable to get your disconnection processed on a date of your choice (within the 60 day limit) by phone. I can appreciate this must be frustrating and is not the kind of support we aim to provide! 

Did you request to raise a complaint whilst on the phone regarding this so we have a record that it happened and can investigate further? If not, and you would like to raise one you can do so here 👉 https://virg.in/makacomp. If you need some help getting one raised please just reply on this thread and let us know, and we will send you a PM to offer some help with this! 

For anyone viewing this thread, as the community have correctly advised you can find all of the ways to cancel here 👉 How to cancel Virgin Media broadband & TV | Virgin Media Help which include by phone, webchat or post. There is also information here regarding final bills, cancellation fees and returning any equipment. If you need any information regarding early disconnection fees (EDF's) this can be found here 👉 virg.in/EDF. Hope this helps! 

Please let us know if you need any further support or help raising a complaint. Wishing you all the best! 

Molly

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a comprehensive response Molly. It's a pity that the "How to cancel" link is less comprehensive and manages to fail to actually give the Sunderland postal address. 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

HI @Jlam1 

The agent should have set the cancellation date to 24th February if that's what you requested.

However, it looks like they've applied the 30 days notice from the date  you contacted them, hence the early termination fee of £5 for finishing the contract a few days early.  

It's actually saved you a few pence (and I mean a few pence)  🤣

The terms-conditions/early-disconnection-fees page shows how to work out what the charge should be (roughly)

The example below shows a customer saving money which can go towards their fuel bill 

M125 Fibre Broadband Monthly Cost: £44.00 EDF per month remaining (includes VAT): £42.32

So, over a month the ETF would have saved them the grand sum of £1.68 which equates to a saving of 0.056 pence per day over a month.. 

If their account is ending 18th Feb instead of the 24th Feb then for those extra 6 days that finished the contract early they would be charged £8.46  (edf rate) instead of £8.80 (normal daily rate) so a grand saving of 34 pence 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

More than 6 months after i raised this, the issue is still occuring? why? why are virgin media still misleading customers? how many customers have been roped into paying unjust cancellation fees?

The VM complaints process clearly goes nowehere. Might need to be raised with someone like Trading Standards.

Hello gurpswu,

Thanks for your reply. We are very sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

When you spoke to Lee about this vis a private chat, He will have made sure this instance was fed back into the business.

Gareth_L

Hi got a phone call today from virgin media uk,making all the difference talking to someone from the uk,all sorted happy withe new deal 23 quid for broadband only,can’t complain at that,thanks for all the replies 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @Jlam1 

That's great news. Thanks for updating the thread.

Stay safe and take care.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Jlam1,

Thank you for coming back to us about this and glad that you've been able to find a deal that you're happy with.

If you need any help or assistance, please get back in touch. We're here to help.

Thanks! 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs