cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM manhole cover in new drop kerb.

HankUK
Tuning in

In my dealings with Virgin Media over the last 2 months regarding alteration to a VM cover in a new drop kerb, I have found VM to be the most inept, inefficient, incompetent and resource wasteful organisation I have ever come across.  Believe me, when I say I have literally been around the world assessing systems and procedures in large multinational companies  for decades. As primarily a 'Communications organisation', VM are as appalling as they could be regarding their computer systems and interface with their long standing Customers! 

16 REPLIES 16

Hi, no they don't ... have a look at the details I posted earlier.

Good luck, you'll need it.

Hank

I am also wanting to ask VM about information about a dropped kerb. I live in Stockport. Stockport Council say I have to contact VM before they can give me permission. How do I go about this please?

Hi @Enilette 

Thank you so much for posting and welcome to our community forums. I'm so sorry to hear you are having an issue with a dropped kerb.

Can I ask if there is a cabinet outside of your house? Moving a cabinet even a few feet can cause weeks of disruption for the local area and a reroute and relaying of our infrastructure and cables to each home.

Being totally honest an up front it is unlikely that this will be moved, I am sorry. We would have had Local Authority permissions to place there. The costs for the initial assessment and to move it would be down to you and would be in the thousands.

If you wish to apply for an assessment, do let us know. This would be an upfront cost and there is no guarantee of moving the cabinet. If the assessment confirms it can be moved, you will be supplied with a quote.

Hi,

so I posted a while back . My local council charged around £100 for a survey and quoted £980 for dropped kerb works. Great I thought that was a fair price for ease of off road parking in a narrow road . However where drop kerb needed there is a VM manhole (not cabinet ) in the pavement. Charges by VM were £240 survey and to drop the manhole down lower (so still in pavement same place just 5cm ish lower ) and actual quote is £1900 but insist they work in tandem with local council . Unfortunately it’s really the only sensible place for drop kerb to go (and believe me the council were very supportive in trying to give other options to avoid VM ) so I had no choice . What should have cost around £1100 if just council has now been raised to £3240.  Council were ready several weeks ago but VM say they’ve lost the papers !!! (Funny how they were quick enough to take my Money as won’t do anything until paid up front)  local council trying to liaise on my behalf as I sent them all the details and references etc from VM .  Not a good advert for VM - just shows them as money grabbing and not customer focussed . 

Hi @ddhh33

Thanks for coming back to us and I'm sorry that you're having issues getting this work carried out.

Have the team been able to give any time frames after they advised that the papers had been lost? Did they advise what would happen to try and get this back on track?

Regards

Steven_L

+Further to comments on this subject, below is is my post from 31/01/2020:-

Following a 150 call from our VM phone, a VM engineer arrived on 23rd November 2019 to inspect the VM cover where a drop kerb was to be built following a double Garage next to the house and drive being completely rebuilt to become in/out.  The engineer advised the VM box was deep, should be little problem to lower it to match the drop kerb, which he marked with green spray and when asked he thought it would be without cost. I subsequently learned the VM engineer had updated 'VM Records' for the visit on 23rd November 2019, together with a photograph of the VM box.

On pursuing this with 'Medway Council', they indicated I should call VM DivWorks, following which they have said:-

1. They could find no record of the VM engineer visit on 23rd November 2019, it needed to be checked by DivWorks Planning at a cost of £240.

2. Numerous calls were made establishing the 23rd November 2019 VM Engineers visit and I provided DivWorks with the VM Order No. 73590063, but they still denied finding a record of this.

3. Over 30 phone calls were made to VM to over 12 people, many being repeatedly routed to India being a complete waste of time.

4. On further contact with Christopher Doran, a 'revised rough' estimate of £6733.33 was made!  Clearly this was NOT a rough estimate of such a ridiculous amount, ending with 33p!  This spurred me to make further calls to VM including to Ann Davies and Donna Morley, who I understood Christopher Doran reported to.

5. The above resulted in two VM engineers arriving this morning to survey the VM box where the drop kerb is going and will provide a cost estimate to me next week. They arrived on-time, were efficient, understanding and helpful. I asked the for an estimate of the cost and they thought £1,500.

So, in over 2 months the VM cost has gone from nothing, to £240, which was the waived, to £6733.33 and now thought to be £1,500 (inc. VAT?).

I was inflamed by the stupidity of Christopher Doran (point 4), whom I have no confidence with, coming up with £6,733.33 as a rough quote!!!

I feel the excessive time wasting incompetence of VM should result in a reduction in cost for the work, before a decision is made t stay with VM or not.

Please advise.

It shows just how incompetent VM (especially DIVX) at management, and how quick they are to rip off their loyal customers.

And yes, I'm happy to make a complaint to VM about this issue where the is no cable cabinet involved.

Yep mine is in Medway too . Absolutely no issues with Medway highways - they have gone 100% and more on their part , with giving options and supporting whilst hard standing was prepared ..... just VM that is causing the hold up now - guess I got to be grateful my cost is less than yours 😞