Menu
Bomberoo
Tuning in
Message 1 of 54
Flag for a moderator

VM Junction box obstruction

I have the green VM outdoor Junction box on the pavement outside my house. I am planning on turning my garden into a two car driveway as our road is congested with parked cars and space is limited. However the green box will osbstruct the access to the new driveway.
Is there a procedure for moving the junction box, it would only have to be moved about 1 meter or so?
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM Junction box obstruction

you would need to get planning permission for the drive and unless you clear this as well you are not likely to be able to complete the work.

moving the box will be at your expense as is not going to be cheap.
As planning permission for the box and vm cable has already been approved you will need to factor the cost of move into your planning application or they won't approve it.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Bomberoo
Tuning in
Message 3 of 54
Flag for a moderator

There are already numerous converted gardens into driveways in street, Would they knock back permission solely because of the location of the VM box? If it's too expensive to move the box, would council allow a driveway with the box sitting in middle of the driveway? I would still be able to park both cars, without it being moved?
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 54
Flag for a moderator

yes they wouldn't grant the permission. it would be your cost of move the box. you would have to factory it into the planning permission you send.

I dont know if they would let you convert with the box there.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Bomberoo
Tuning in
Message 5 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Checked with council, no planning application required, that'll help.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 54
Flag for a moderator

you may not need planning permission to make the drive larger. However you need planning permission to drop the kerb.

Without the dropped kerb you have no crossover to the new drive and driving on the path without it would be illegal and classed as dangerus driving.

you will not get planning permission to drop the kerb with the cabinet there. And that already has planning permission you wont be granted permission as its not possbile to make the crossover though the box. It would need moving in the cost of lowering the kerb and that would be your expense.

if you can make you drive large while using the same drop kerb to access both spaces you may well not need any permission.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Bomberoo
Tuning in
Message 7 of 54
Flag for a moderator

My kerb outside my house is pretty low anyway, had a look at costs to lower it further and it comes in at £875, so won't be doing that. Can't see me driving into a new driveway across the pavement as dangerous driving, as it's not a reckless or dangerous manoeuvre. if the box can't be moved then I'd be happy for box to be an avoidable obstacle.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 54
Flag for a moderator

http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/motoring/motoring-news/man-fined-600-for-parking-on-his-own-driveway-11...

Its happened before.

https://www.tpos.co.uk/news-media-and-press-releases/case-studies/item/an-undropped-kerb-misleading-...

"the Highways Department had informed them that it was illegal to drive over a pavement where the kerb had not been dropped to access the space."

"it became clear that unless the kerb was dropped, other drivers were entitled to park in such a manner which restricted access."

Things to keep in mind

Use Kudos to say thanks

Bomberoo
Tuning in
Message 9 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info, very interesting. My situation a wee bit different, I don't need to apply for planning permission for a driveway, don't need my kerb lowered so therefore not breaking any rules or regs and don't need to apply re planning for the kerb. Only issue I can see is if somebody parks in front of the drive blocking me in, the authorities would not be able to remove the car as it is parked legally on an unrestricted road, I think I'd be ok with that as I think majority people do respect driveway access and i think it would be only on very rare occasions me being blocks in same problem with people with dropped kerbs.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 54
Flag for a moderator

The cab would have to be moved to another suitable location. This would also no doubt involve moving the feed to the opposite side of the road, all of which requires planning permission. Wherever the cabinet is moved too, some of the customers access "tee's" will then face in the wrong direction, resulting in pavements being dug up. Some cabinets serve 50 plus customers. All the drop lines to these customers will need re-pulling, & in some cases their front gardens/driveways dug up to re-install. Not to mention the compensation payouts for 1 or 2 weeks loss of service while all this goes on.

If you are not wanting to pay out £900 odd for dropping the kerb, yet you are probably looking at a bill more than ten times that to move the cabinet.

Use Kudos to say thanks