cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unjustified charge to PSTN to fibre phone switch

Optimist1
Up to speed

Why am I being charged £5 for you to switch my phone service from PSTN to fibre?

When I was informed that the phone service would be switched in March, I contacted your help desk to arrange for a technician to visit.  After discussion, it was agreed that a visit was not necessary as I was perfectly capable of replacing the out-of-date Superhub with new hub compatible with the new phone service myself and that there would be NO CHARGE.  The new hub duly arrived and installation was straightforward and it is working OK (all I am now waiting for is the adapter needed from switchover day).

Would you please adjust my bill accordingly before taking the direct debit.  Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Optimist1, thanks for PMing us and we are glad to see that this is on the way to becoming resolved. 

Please let us know if you need any further assistance?

Kind regards, Chris. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Forum Staff should be able to follow this up for you, as there should be no charge. The hub change is needed to maintain an existing service.

By the way, you will still be using a PSTN service after the switch. Your copper pair line currently terminates at a street fibre node, which then converts it to digital across a fibre to the headend PSTN exchange. All that the 21CV migration does is remove the copper pair section & your hub does what currently happens at the fibre node. Everything else works as it has always done. Hence you will still pay a line rental as part of your phone charges. The full switch to VoIP will happen in 2025, & will be synchronised with the switchover of your local BT exchange.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @Optimist1, and welcome back to our Forums!

Sorry to hear of the £5.00 charge on your account.

We wouldn't be expected to issue you any charge for the switching over of the services.

Can you confirm what description is itemised on the bill when referring to the £5.00 charge?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

David_Bn: Thanks for your reply.

"Your bill breakdown
Other charges & credits
If we need to apply any charges or credits that are not directly linked to one
of your service charges, we'll apply them here so you can see them all
together in one place. If you receive a charge, it would commonly relate to
things such as activation or setup. Credits are commonly used for things like
adjustments or bill corrections.
One-off charges & credits £5.00
Free Activation 12 January £0.00
Delivery Cost 12 January £5.00
Virgin Media Hub 5 (Upgrade) 12 January £0.00
Other charges & credits £5.00"

Just to add that the hub received is a Hub 4 rather than a Hub 5 but it works OK.

Hi Optimist1, thanks for confirming, and welcome back to the forums. 

I will send you a PM so that things can be looked into further in relation to the charge. 

Chris.

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Optimist1, thanks for PMing us and we are glad to see that this is on the way to becoming resolved. 

Please let us know if you need any further assistance?

Kind regards, Chris. 

Hi Chris
Thank you for sorting this out so promptly.
Regards
Optimist1

Hi Optimist1, thanks for the message, 

I am glad that we have managed to get this resolved. 

Kind regards, Chris.