cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected package change following landline number transfer

rodwell99
Tuning in

Hi,

I recently received an unexpected email from Virgin with a subject of 'Thanks for making those changes', and in summary it looks like my package has been downgraded and the price increased.

I suspect this has happened as a result of my starting the process of transferring my landline to a VOIP provider but my understanding was that this wouldn't affect anything to do with my package (I just would obviously no longer have access to a landline via Virgin) and I would just be expected to continue paying the existing price on the contract until it had expired.

I phoned Virgin, went through to the retentions line and spoke to someone who tried to be helpful but his initial response was that he couldn't see any changes to my package, which didn't inspire confidence.  In the end he said that he could just reset my package to its previous contents at the same price if I agreed to sign up to another 18 month contract, which I was happy to do.

However, since it looked like he was going to start a new package including line rental I was worried that this would affect the landline transfer.  When I queried this he said it looked like the landline transfer should be completed today (this was yesterday and I'm not sure that was actually true as my landline still works with Virgin today) so it would probably be better to wait a day and he would call me back tomorrow.

So today I received a call from someone else @ Virgin but I'm not sure it was related to yesterday's conversation or was independently triggered by the landline transfer.  This time I was offered a new package that was actually an upgrade on my current one for more or less the same money but the problem was I could only have it if I cancelled the landline transfer, which I don't want to do.  In the end I was told I should just call customer services and they should be able to give me a package that was equivalent to my current one but without the landline for the same price.

It feels like I'm back to square one.  Trying to get through on 150 is a nightmare (I've just been disconnected after being on hold for ages) and I'm not particularly confident that the third person I speak to will actually be able to help.

Last year when Virgin lied to me about the contract we'd agreed I eventually managed to sort things out using this forum (thanks @Ilyas) so thought I'd try again.  Is anyone from the forum team able to help?

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there rodwell99,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Apologies for the issues faced with this, usually you would automatically receive a package change notification for when the switchover is due to take place.

From checking our forums I can see that our team has PM'd you, to avoid confusion I'll allow responses to occur from there.

Regards,

Kain

Hi Kain, thanks for the reply but I can't see any new private message - are you sure one has been sent?

Hi Rodwell99,

Thanks for coming back to us, apologies about the confusion there! 
No PM has been sent yet, it looks like there was a misunderstanding from what you stated about getting help from Ilyas - But not to worry as we can still try to help 🙂

Just so my understanding is correct - Are you porting your landline number out to a new provider, but keeping your broadband & TV active with us?

Thanks!

Megan_L

Hi Megan, yes that's exactly what I'm trying to do.

Thanks for coming back to the thread rodwell99

OK so the process for porting out - your new provider would contact us via their telephony back office systems with a port out request for the phone number. 

We would then port it out the date requested.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John, yes I understand this part of the process and the new provider has made the request.

My problem is that Virgin seem to have automatically reduced my package (worse TV) and increased the price as a result of this request and having spoken to two different people I have been unable to find out why or how to restore my package to the content/price I agreed last year.

This can happen if you've ported out. Some TV packages only work with certain bundles so you'd be moved accordingly.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

I appreciate you taking the time to reply John but that doesn't really help me. 

As far as I am concerned Virgin have changed the terms of my contract and I do not accept those changes.  If you read my original post you will see that I was told to get in touch with customer services and they would be able to reinstate the original package minus the landline but it's impossible to get through on the phone.

I appreciate what you are saying, however, there are only certain plans that are available on a non-landline account. 

It's not impossible to get through but we are sorry for any hold times.

Best wishes,

John_GS
Forum Team