cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ultimate Oomph prices not consistent

D-T
On our wavelength

VM seem to be making it almost impossible to upgrade to the Ultimate Oomph bundle at a reasonable price.

Yesterday I was on a web chat with the Retention Team who offered me the bundle at £101/month. For new customers the price is £89/month. The excuse given is that £89/month is what they offer to get new customers. From this I can only assume that they don't care about retention of loyal customers.

I then phoned today  only to be offered the exact same package at £121/month (ie an extra £384 per year for being a loyal customer!!). I said that this was £10/month more than I was offered yesterday & was told to go back onto chat & get the offer.

So I went back onto chat, only to be told to phone 150!!!! After saying that I had already done this  I was told, ok we'll transfer you back to the Retention team.

At this point I got a message saying the Retention team don't operate after 6pm so to try again in the morning!!! I had been transferred to a closed department. 

At this point I'm wondering....

Do VM care about customers that aren't new?

Why are there so many prices for exactly the same package?

Why is everyone I talk/chat to giving me a different price?

Will it ever be possible to get the package I want at a reasonable price?

Any help would be appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Virgin's pricing has always been as clear as mud.

New customer price is pretty much unachievable for an existing customer.

You should have cashed out at £101 when it was offered.

Most of the time yes, often they balls up their Customer Service, but they won't give you the same price as a new customer.

Variety of business reasons mostly internal.  Some are obvious ie. margins and some not so.

Because they can and it's how VM do business.

The word reasonable is subjective.  In my opinion your £101 offer was reasonable.

You are free to look around, see what the competition offers and if you are out of contract you will have more leverage with Virgin Media.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

D-T
On our wavelength

VM seem to be making it almost impossible to upgrade to the Ultimate Oomph bundle at a reasonable price.

Yesterday I was on a web chat with the Retention Team who offered me the bundle at £101/month. For new customers the price is £89/month. The excuse given is that £89/month is what they offer to get new customers. From this I can only assume that they don't care about retention of loyal customers.

I then phoned today  only to be offered the exact same package at £121/month (ie an extra £384 per year for being a loyal customer!!). I said that this was £10/month more than I was offered yesterday & was told to go back onto chat & get the offer.

So I went back onto chat, only to be told to phone 150!!!! After saying that I had already done this  I was told, ok we'll transfer you back to the Retention team.

At this point I got a message saying the Retention team don't operate after 6pm so to try again in the morning!!! I had been transferred to a closed department. 

At this point I'm wondering....

Any help would be appreciated

Anonymous
Not applicable

Virgin's pricing has always been as clear as mud.

New customer price is pretty much unachievable for an existing customer.

You should have cashed out at £101 when it was offered.

Most of the time yes, often they balls up their Customer Service, but they won't give you the same price as a new customer.

Variety of business reasons mostly internal.  Some are obvious ie. margins and some not so.

Because they can and it's how VM do business.

The word reasonable is subjective.  In my opinion your £101 offer was reasonable.

You are free to look around, see what the competition offers and if you are out of contract you will have more leverage with Virgin Media.

D-T
On our wavelength

Hi,

Thanks for the answers.

You're right I should take the £101 & I would like to. However it seems VM are doing everything they can to make this impossible

Anonymous
Not applicable

A mod can help you out tomorrow hopefully.

They don't do package changes via the forum but if you were offered a price and they can see evidence of it they can help.

D-T
On our wavelength

Hopefully they can 🙂

It was offered during a webchat, so there should be evidence of it (&, being a cynical person, I took a screenshot just in case!)

Thanks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@D-T 

I've merged your duplicate posts into one.

The standard price for Ultimate Oomph is £139/month.

Any promotional offer you're given, is often only as good as that call and if you redial it may not be available as offers can do change on a continual basis. If you were offered it for £101/month, that's a £38/month discount which seems to be the right ball-park for a new 18month contract. Some may have paid less, others may have paid more.

The forum staff can't deal with package change queries on here, so you will need to call in to resolve this.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If you want a good deal, then you need leverage.  And the only time you have leverage as an existing customer is when all three of the following apply:

a) You are in a position to leave (near end of fixed term contract or out of fixed term contract)

b) You are in possession of market knowledge - better offers for similar bundles from competitors (eg via Uswitch or other PCW)

c) You are on the phone to retentions, playing the game, and the agent believes you are serious about leaving.  

Know at the start of the call what you can get from competitors, what ideal outcome you want from VM, and what you will settle for.  I suggest you have these two boundaries written down in front of you.  You need to have these boundary values firmly fixed because as you've already found you can't negotiate a deal and leave it on the table whilst you consider it, that's not how the system works.  The agent you are dealing with will probably be paid a bonus if they can retain you, but won't be paid the bonus if you end the call with "I'd like to think about that", and the next agent you speak to isn't interested in what you were offered before.  If anything, coming back to the table after mulling it over will suggest to them that you're more committed to VM than before and don't need to be offered such a good deal.

Ignore the history and previous offers.  They're gone, but that doesn't mean you can't get a stonkingly good deal with some effort.  Explain that your current package is too expensive, and you hope they can help because you're seriously considering the offer from Company Z, and that's only £Y a month, and would save you £XXX over 18 months.  See what they say.  Usually they won't price match, particularly on first offer.  Your response to their first offer will almost certainly need to be "thanks but that's still not enough, it is nowhere near Company Z's price, I'd rather the £NNN difference over 18 months was in my pocket not Virgin Media's".  You may then have to endure the charade of "need to speak to my manager" when in fact they're just going for a coffee or handling another call, since the agents have plenty of leeway.  Ignore any package "throw ins" that you don't want such as (perhaps) a free SIM, speed upgrade or a channel package you wouldn't have chosen.  Remember that in the discussion, appealing to loyalty or fairness are utterly pointless - those count for nothing, and the agent is doing their job when trying to keep you as a customer at the highest possible price, you are showing that you can get a much better deal elsewhere, and you WILL take that competitor offer if VM can't come up with a great counter-offer.

If you're going to accept the VM offer, this will be a new 18 month contract, get the agent to run through all important aspects including speed, any TV bundles (and channels important to you), any landline and landline add ons, so that this should be recorded on VM's systems in case there's any problem later on.  If you accept an offer, then check the contract email you get carefully - there are a few instances every month of customers agreeing a deal and then finding that what's been put through has important differences, almost always in the company's favour. 

If the Openreach alternatives are adequate, and VM's best offer is still above your minimum, be prepared to say "no" and walk away and cancel (but only cancel when the Openreach line is installed and working).  Remember that the retention agents do their job all day every day, and unless you're a procurement professional by trade, they are far more experienced than you or I will ever be, and they get regular training to spot who is likely to leave, and who is just bluffing.  If you are not prepared to leave they'll spot that, and know they don't have to offer a good deal, and I'll wager that they are either incentivised to retain at minimum discounts, or simply shown the door if they give too much away.

You might subsequently get an outbound retention call in the last few days of your contract after serving notice that offers the sort of deal you'd stay for.  Do not rely on that happening.  If you do cancel and the call arrives, then give it thought because the same rules apply: Know your price/bundle limit, and the deal is only valid when offered.

Laurie_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @D-T,

Thanks for getting in touch, and a very warm welcome back to the Community Forum!

We don't normally deal with package changes on the Community Forum, but I'd be happy to send you a PM to see if we are able to help at all. Please look out for a purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen.

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team

D-T
On our wavelength

Thank-you all for your answers.

I've replied to your PM @Laurie_C