Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Transfer of responsibility

I need to do a transfer of responsibility as my daughter can get a great deal. Do I need to cancel contract or will this do it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Transfer of responsibility

I’m not sure what you mean?

Transfer of Responsibility does just that - transfers your contract at your house to someone else.

What is it you actually want to achieve?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I just needed to ensure that, as my contract ends 15/09, I didn't need to call to cancel. I'm very new to this as I always ensure I call the month before to renew my contract as I don't want a massive bill. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I’m still not sure what you want to achieve. You always have to cancel your contract, giving 30 days notice.

Do you want to cancel your contract and have someone else start a contract at your address?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

When your contradict comes to an end then you go onto a 30 day rolling contract. This simply means that you are no longer oblugated to stay with Virgin Media without having to pay a penalty if you leave while still contractually obligated to Virgin Media. You may also find that some of the discounts you had may have also expired after your contract finishes. You'd be advised to give Virgin Media a call and try renegotiate a better deal when a contract expires, but this will more than likely also result in Virgin Media wanting your to once again commit yourself to a contact again in return for whatever deal they offer you? You don't have to sugn yp to a new contract or transfer responsibility to still be able to use the services you already have.

If you're the current customer and If looking for a better deal for your daughter when you're out of contract than you'd probably be better off leaving Virgin Media and then having your daughter sign up as a new customer?

If you transfter the responsibility for the existing account from yourself to your daughter then there's no onus upon Virgin Media to offter you anything more than what you already have for exactly the same monthly amount. The transfer will also automaticlly tie your daughter into a 12 month contract with Virgin Media and will cost you an additional £20 for the credit checks Virgin do in association with such transfers.

When your current contract expires then either renegotiate a new deal or leave and have your daughter sign up as a new customer. Either of these 2 options will result in you geetting a better deal than you'd have gotten if transfering your account to your daughter.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

OK I think I see what you are trying to do but it won’t work like that. Your daughter will get a ‘good deal’ only because she would be a new customer with a new account. If you transfer your account to her, then she wouldn’t be a new customer and would just inherit your account and pay the same amount that you do now or will be paying after the minimum term is up on 15th Sept.

The only thing you can do is to call VM within the next day or so and cancel your existing contract. You will need to wait for it to terminate properly and only then will your daughter be able to take out a new contract at the same address and get the ‘new customer’ deals. You will lose any email addresses associated with your account and after a couple of months VM will (should) delete the mailboxes and all the mail in them, and there’s likely to be a period where you won’t have any service at all after your existing account ends and VM can provide a new one. Should be a self-install though so at least you won’t have to wait for an engineer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

... and, of course, your daughter will be subject to a credit check.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos