cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tivo box

TinaHughes
Joining in

I'm trying to sort out my mother in law's Virgin media account, her package seems far more than she needs. She doesn't record TV at all but has 2 TIVO boxes, does she need any TIVO boxes?

4 REPLIES 4

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I have absolutely no idea, that's something only you can answer!!

The TiVo boxes are quite old now, and whilst being perfectly serviceable, if you have VM broadband I'd recommend trying to swap them for V6 that run the same software but on much newer, more capable hardware.

That said, only you know your mother-in-law's circumstances, what channels she watches and how she uses the boxes. As a starter for six, check which channels she regularly watches and/or records, and compare it with the package guide at the bottom of this page 

If she mainly watches the "freeview" type channels then she needs to decide how much the recording capability is used, compared against a simple Freeview recorder versus whether VM will offer an acceptable package on the base Mixit bundle. If she watches any of the pay-channels, then it's probably a shoot-out between VM & Sky.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

She doesn't record any TV at all. She has poor reception in her area so has to have "cable TV". She does seem to only watch Freeview channels. Her package seems to be expensive because she needs "anytime" phone calls on her landline, she is unable to use a mobile.  I'm not familiar with Tivo boxes, do you have to have one to be able to watch the TV?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@TinaHughes wrote:

I'm not familiar with Tivo boxes, do you have to have one to be able to watch the TV?

If you want to watch TV over Virgin Media's cable network, you need a set-top-box to do so. TiVo is a set-top-box. It allows recording of programmes, but that's part of the box's functionality - it's not something that VM charge for.

Ordinarily I would have recommended you have a play with the bundle builder site to get an idea of pricing for different combinations of services, but unfortunately it's been broken for a few weeks now. Therefore your best solution is going to be asking VM for pricing on perhaps basic Mixit TV, with whatever landline package your mother-in-law needs, and then compare that with an alternate TV provider such as perhaps Freesat.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello TinaHughes

Thanks for your questions

As much as we would love to help with this 

Package changes are not something we can pick up on the Forums 

if you are with your Mother in Law, She can call 150 and ask for you to speak on here behalf 

Then you cam look at reducing the package and cost down to the minimum 

Gareth_L