cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of leaving VM

daveydear
Up to speed

Hello  after 20+ years  with VM  due to financial reasons and upcoming price increases I have decided to leave VM. I realise people with VM pay different amounts for very  similar packages. Anyway I am getting phone weekends only, broadband 132 and TV XL for £85 per month, soon to rise 13%

I have decided to get a freeview recorder and switch to another broadband supplier,  I don't need the phone line. Plusnet do full fibre 145 for approx £30  a month, a bit less if you take the reward card into account.

I have now seen VM are doing broadband only for £15 for 6 months for new customers  then £30 .

My question is rather than switch to Plusnet is it safe to assume VM would give me broadband only for £30 a month

I loathe to ring VM , I've had bad experiences before, where they've said one thing and done something differently, thanks for your opinions 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@daveydear wrote:

Hello  after 20+ years  with VM  due to financial reasons and upcoming price increases I have decided to leave VM. I realise people with VM pay different amounts for very  similar packages. Anyway I am getting phone weekends only, broadband 132 and TV XL for £85 per month, soon to rise 13%

<snip>

I loathe to ring VM , I've had bad experiences before, where they've said one thing and done something differently, thanks for your opinions 

You will only find out what VM will offer you individually/personally by phoning them up, unfortunately.

In all likelihood you will probably only get a reasonable offer for broadband only, after downsizing your package, once you have put your notice in to leave (although there is no guarantee at all you will get any retentions call in the last 30 days).

I wanted to do something similar last year (BB+phone to BB only) and got nowhere in renegotiating with VM. I switched to a BT FTTP connection which is very good indeed (far superior to VM with lower latency, more consistent speeds and less outages/hub reboots).

Having made that move I now have a new Openreach FTTP connection which will allow me to switch to any of the other providers offering FTTP via Openreach. I would be hard pushed to think of a reason to go back to VM now.

If you are considering a switch to BT/EE/Plusnet check their pricing T&Cs because a 3.9% + CPI increase is baked into their T&Cs so if you sign up now you will (almost certainly) be hit with that increase come March/April. New customer pricing for that company group has remained relatively static in the last year so you might be better off holding until then. You'll have to do the sums and see how any increase Plusnet pricing compares to keeping VM going at your current/increased VM rates until after March/April.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

Client62
Legend

Plusnet are a delight to deal with compared to Virgin Media.

If Openreach had FTTC here we would not have left Plusnet  for VM

Should Openreach offer FTTP in the future I'd revert to Plusnet in a heartbeat. For me that is about 1/50th of a second.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@daveydear wrote:

TV XL for £85 per month, soon to rise 13%

I have decided to get a freeview recorder

So you've moved from a top-tier pay-TV package to Freeview. Nothing wrong with that, but you're not comparing like with like.

As for your pricing question, you can't negotiate a new package via this forum - you can either call in, or use the WhatsApp chat-based facility.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@daveydear wrote:

<snip>

You will only find out what VM will offer you individually/personally by phoning them up, unfortunately.

In all likelihood you will probably only get a reasonable offer for broadband only, after downsizing your package, once you have put your notice in to leave (although there is no guarantee at all you will get any retentions call in the last 30 days).

I wanted to do something similar last year (BB+phone to BB only) and got nowhere in renegotiating with VM. I switched to a BT FTTP connection which is very good indeed (far superior to VM with lower latency, more consistent speeds and less outages/hub reboots).

Having made that move I now have a new Openreach FTTP connection which will allow me to switch to any of the other providers offering FTTP via Openreach. I would be hard pushed to think of a reason to go back to VM now.

If you are considering a switch to BT/EE/Plusnet check their pricing T&Cs because a 3.9% + CPI increase is baked into their T&Cs so if you sign up now you will (almost certainly) be hit with that increase come March/April. New customer pricing for that company group has remained relatively static in the last year so you might be better off holding until then. You'll have to do the sums and see how any increase Plusnet pricing compares to keeping VM going at your current/increased VM rates until after March/April.

@japitts why am I comparing apples and oranges ? Forget about the TV, it's broadband I'm comparing plusnet and VM . 

@goslow thanks to you and everyone for your input. It's good thinking to wait till the after price increases and see what's on offer then. Thanks again

You might want to check out smaller ISPs like AAISP, uno, IDNet, CIX, Aquiss and perhaps Zen Internet.  Aside from Zen, their offers aren't always structured in the same way as large ISPs*, but their contracts are usually 12 months, typically there's no in-fixed term price rises with these companies, so there's little point in waiting for the majors to complete their competition-law-challenging increases - in fact if you wanted to use these perhaps better to do it before the big ISP's dust settles.  This is worth a read.

These smaller suppliers tend to major on better customer service, so their average cost to you will probably be slightly higher than you'd get out of large ISPs if you haggle or switch regularly, but at least you're not on the hook for unavoidable and outrageous RPI + 4% increases that will be much bigger for those with a discounted contract.   

Something else to consider is moving your landline to a VOIP provider and buying your own VOIP adaptor.  That means that the line is independent of the broadband, and opens up all manner of interesting possibilities, everything from automatic call recording, advanced forwarding and filtering, using an established UK landline number from anywhere in the world.  Note that if you're going for a bare bones VOIP product there's a short but steep learning curve in doing this.  My landline is now a VOIP product with Andrews & Arnold, on a pay as you use basis and £1.44 a month line rental, other VOIP providers offer bundled "free" calls and some provide the equipment, but with higher monthly charges.  Vonage are worth considering if you want a packaged product that largely works out of the box. 

* For example, with Aquiss you have to supply your own router or mesh wifi system - that actually suits me, but won't suit everybody.

Hello daveydear,

Thanks for your post.

Sorry to hear about you wanting to leave.

If you do call us 0345 454 1111 or 150 from your landline, Our team will be more than happy to run through some new packages with you.

Gareth_L

Why can't they just list the available packages and pricing on their website so I can pick what downgrade I want?

Now I feel I need to haggle for a better deal like I am buying broadband and TV at a bazaar.

@japitts wrote:

@daveydear wrote:

TV XL for £85 per month, soon to rise 13%

I have decided to get a freeview recorder

So you've moved from a top-tier pay-TV package to Freeview. Nothing wrong with that, but you're not comparing like with like.

As for your pricing question, you can't negotiate a new package via this forum - you can either call in, or use the WhatsApp chat-based facility.

He may be, but VM often "bundle" things people don't want to be able to haggle a price negotiation when a contract is up.

I've been in this situation as just BB on its own would have been vastly more expensive. When it comes to looking at other providers you decide what's MOST important, and the poster felt broadband was the most important component. The rest was fluff value-add.