cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sca required

Jshaun1968
Tuning in

Good morning I have tried numerous times in paying my bill without success as it keeps saying sca required by virgin why isn’t virgin updating the systems in order for customers to pay there bills 

31 REPLIES 31

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Jshaun1968 wrote:

Good morning no I cannot receive txt messages either 

In that case, your card transactions will always fail because you cannot provide the verification code to prove to the card company or bank that the payment being made from your account is being made by you rather than some random fraudster located in the USA.

So, your current problem with the SCA verification process is between you and the financial organisation you are using rather than with VM.

It's basically the same as if you were paying a large bill at the checkout at Tesco using your Lloyds credit card and your pin code was not being accepted. That issue with your pin code would be something you would need to resolve directly with Lloyds not with Tesco.

You could try contacting your bank or credit card company to see whether they have another option to send the verification, perhaps by email? I know prior to the full SCA implementation HSBC could send verification codes via email.

Alternatively,  the company might have an app that allows you to verify payments from within their app.

The only other option is whether VM have another payment method you could use, perhaps over the phone? That used to be an option but I suspect that no longer exists.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I am having the same problem. Tried from different browsers and devices. This has ONLY happened this month, previously I have had no problems paying Virgin Media by card.

I have contacted my bank and there is no problem with payments I made from their end.

This problem is ONLY happening with Virgin Media - all other payments I have made go through with their respective systems no problem at all. So it seems that something is not working on the Virgin side (or their payment handler) rather than with customer's banks.

Hi thanks for your reply im glad someone else is having same problem it's a new authentication system and it is on virgin side let them slap late fees on me 

Good morning all,

Sorry about this. there are other ways to make a payment listed here - https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payment/make-a-payment

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Sadly, pointing us to alternative methods of payment doesn't solve the original problem.

I too have been experiencing the exact same payment problems as described above for the past two months. Nothing works, not through the app and not through the website. I've had to resort to paying via the phone which presented its own unique problems (e.g. why would I be asked to "round up" the amount due by a significant amount and receive a "credit" on my next bill ... That's just strange.)

I've spoken with my bank on two occasions and they were able to confirm that (a) my payment cards are in no way limited and (b) the payment request that the VM payment system "should" make never hits the bank's systems which is why they can't send out an "authenticate this payment" code or (banking) app approval request which in turn results in the SCA Error message.

So, Virgin Media, what are you doing about this problem? I am fast approaching my wit's end with this as it is unacceptable and I expect better from such a large corporation.

Eagerly awaiting your response.

Thank you.

Dan

Hey DZ300,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forums.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trying to make a payment, have you tried to clear your browsers cache as that has helped?

Please could you also try to make a payment using incognito mode and see if you have the same issues?

Regards,

Steven_L

For information, here is what I have tried so far if it helps track down this problem.

Pay from standard browser I generally use (Opera) = error message 'SCA required' etc.

Pay from Opera after clearing cache (cookies, browsing data etc.) = error message 'SCA required' etc

Pay from alternative browser (Firefox) = error message 'SCA required' etc

Pay from Firefox after clearing cache = error message 'SCA required' etc

Pay from bare bones Opera = error message 'SCA required' etc

Pay from bare bones Firefox = error message 'SCA required' etc

Pay from Edge = error message 'SCA required' etc

Pay from above three browsers in their respective 'incognito' modes = error message 'SCA required' etc

Pay through mobile using Samsung Internet = error message 'SCA required' etc

Pay through mobile using Samsung Internet using private mode = error message 'SCA required' etc

Pay through mobile phone after clearing all browsing data = error message 'SCA required' etc

Pay through someone else's computer using Chrome in standard and private modes = error message 'SCA required' etc

Pay through Linux laptop using chrome and Firefox = error message 'SCA required' etc

Pay through Raspberry Pi = error message 'SCA required' etc

Contacted bank (Natwest) - no problems with or restrictions on card. No payment requests from Virgin registered on their system. No problems with online or offline payments using the card.

Screenshot:

screenshot.jpg

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The folloing info is taken from -What-Do-the-Declined-Transaction-Result-Codes-Mean 

Soft Declines

A soft decline occurs when the issuing bank approves the payment, but the transaction fails at some other point in the process. Some typical reasons for a soft decline are:

• Insufficient Funds
  • Processor Declined
  • Card Activity Limit Exceeded
  • Expired Card
  • The Purchase is Unusual
  • The Billing Address and the IP Address Do Not Match
  • The Card is Being Used Abroad

The good news about soft declines is that the transaction failure is temporary. So, you can retry the card in one or two days after the decline occurs and hope for valid authorization.

The part I've highlighted in red may cause issues for any users trying to pay any company (not just VM) if they are using a VPN, or any browser based VPN.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi Steven,

Thank you for your response.

I can confirm that I've tried your suggestions previously as well as just now. It makes no difference, the problem remains. I've done this on both my personal and work desktops running Chrome, Edge and Opera.

On my phone I've also deleted the APP and reinstalled it. There are other issues with the app (such as not showing a payment was successfully made until the next bill is produced) but that's not for this thread.

I've also tried paying with different cards (both VISA and MASTERCARD) from different banks but the result is the same: no payment possible.

It's not looking hopeful 😉

Hi Dave,

That is interesting information.

However, I have not had any issues with SCA in the past nor at present with any other companies - it really is consistently VM. Because of that I don't think that the IP address not matching the billing address is an issue in this case. I'm not using a VPN.

Thanks.

Dan