cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renewal

Stocktaker
Joining in

Hi.  I had an enormous amount of trouble last March when I renewed my Contract but with Wifi only.  After many months of over charging, it was resolved by the wonderful people on here.  My current contract ends in September and I need to know when to renew, hopefully at a reasonable price, without any problems with extra charges for being too early or too late etc.  Also, can anyone explain why I have had my Landline removed and now have Volt (whatever that is)?

6 REPLIES 6

Anankha
Problem sorter

I would call 30 days before the end of the contract, then if there’s nothing of interest you can give the 30 days notice.

Have you had a letter about the digital switchover with the phone? You should’ve received a cable allowing you to connect the phone to the Hub if so.

My Broadband Ping - Virginmedia

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Stocktaker 

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community.

Like @Anankha has advised here, you'll need to contact the team via either 📞 on 150 / 0345 454 1111 or message via Whatsapp on +447305 327 112 thirty days before the end of the contract to renegotiate. 

In relation to the landline, this isn't in relation to Volt. If you have an O2 SIM and a Cable account, then it's a Volt account 🙂

The landline - if you check your current contract for me, is it part of the agreement made?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Stocktaker
Joining in

HI.  I know nothing about any cable to connect my Landline to my hub.  As far as the contract is concerned, Virgin change this to suit themselves.  When I changed to Broadband only, it actually showed TV, Broadband and  Landline for £25 per month but they still took over £140 per month for several months. Their latest  version show Broadband and Vo9t.  However, having just received notification that my charges will increase by 28% (£25 to £32)  my original query seems irrelevant as I can no longer afford the increase and will have to try another provider.  Lets face it, the contract is a farce - If I break it in any way, Virgin charge me and if they break it, they still charge me!!  

Hi Stocktaker,

Every customer receives an individual price rise specific to them, if you wish to discuss your increase further then you can discuss this with us either by chatting to us online, calling 0345 454 1111 or 150 from your landline.

Thanks

Beth

It's all very well suggesting that I call to discuss but, as I found out last time, I called 13 times and reached an "agreement" every time but they either refused to confirm the "agreement" with an e-mail or said they would but never did and still carried on by overcharging me.  It was only through this forum that the matter was resolved with a Credit as a "gesture of goodwill" rather than we have fraudulently taken your money!!

@Stocktaker wrote:

It's all very well suggesting that I call to discuss but, as I found out last time, I called 13 times and reached an "agreement" every time but they either refused to confirm the "agreement" with an e-mail or said they would but never did and still carried on by overcharging me.  It was only through this forum that the matter was resolved with a Credit as a "gesture of goodwill" rather than we have fraudulently taken your money!!

If you received your price rise notification email/letter which ALSO contains a change of T&C's that affect the way future yearly price increases are done you can exit this year (for the last time) if in a contract minimum term penalty free. It's an Ofcom ruling, but from April 2024 this exit will not be honoured because VM have changed the T&C's which you agree to after 30 days of that letter/email being received.

Beginning April 2024 price increases will be calculated yearly by:

• The RPI published in February that year PLUS an additional 3.9% on top
  • Calculated on your FULL package price not any discount/retention deal price

The exit contract term without penalty OfCom rule will no longer apply as the T&C's were changed to notify the formula used each year.

If you want to cancel but don't want the hassle of endless hours on the phone or Whatsapp waiting then it's easy by simple letter by recorded delivery and put your account number and name etc in the letter. make sure it gets to them before the date on your price increase and notification of change of T&Cs email/letter. State you are using the Ofcom clause to exit penalty free and refer to the statement about leaving in the email/letter sent by VM. Not a formal letter like a job application so don't worry.

See

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/leaving

Virgin Media, Sunderland, SR43 4AA

If they don't answer or disconnect you, the letter is legal evidence as it's sent recorded to their address they state.