Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Problems with leaving Virgin media

On 5th November I informed Virgin media I would be ending my broadband/TV/phone contract on 4th December, due to moving house to an area with no cable. They advised I should return modern and TiVo boxes and sent me packaging.

On 27th November I received text and emails threatening charges for the kit I had not yet returned, ie 7 days before contract end.

On 2nd December I packaged up the kit and took to local collect+ shop.

On 6th December my collect+ app shows the items as delivered to virgin.

Today, 7th December I receive further text and emails again threatening charges for non return of kit.

This is a very poor experience and means I am unlikely to recommend Virgin to others or use Virgin myself in future.

Has anyone else had similar bad experiences?

Can anyone from Virgin explain why this is happening?

Also, can anyone from Virgin explain why the refund due me is issued by cheque rather than straight into my bank account as all other service providers?

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problems with leaving Virgin media

it can take 14 days from the equipment being returned to being scanned back into the system.

As for the cheque i guess it is jsut a standard way as not everyone will have a Direct debit set up and some people might be paying by payplus or credit card and they wouldn't have any way to returnt he money to people that didn't pay by DD

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for posting mismit

Sorry to hear you've left us. @apcyberax has answered you correctly regarding the equipment returns issue.  I am sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

At this time, our cable account billing system does not allow for payments to be returned via the BACS method.  I am sorry for any inconvenience this also may be causing you.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replies.

I can accept that it takes a long time to get the kit back into the system (14 days plus 6 days for the collect+ is up to 20 days total) although Amazon manage to credit refunds to your account as soon as they are logged in the collect+ system so Virgin are remarkably backward for a tech company.

Anyway, if this 20 day delay before Virgin acknowledge the kit has been returned is necessary I would expect Virgin to work around this and only start chasing me 20 days AFTER my contract end date of 4th December, ie 24th December, and would not expect to be threatened with charges for the kit until after that date, whereas they started chasing on 27th November. 

Or do Virgin expect everyone to send back their kit 20 days before the end of the contract they are paying for?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I am sorry about this mismit

I will certainly feed this back on your behalf.  I can assure you that even if charges are applied, these will be removed as soon as the equipment is showing returned on your account.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Now a month since we left virgin and still waiting for a substantial refund on our last monthly bill.

Given our poor experience, it would have been better for us to have cancelled the direct debit once we knew we were moving and let virgin pursue us for the amount owing, which we could then have provided by cheque some months later...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi mismit,

I'm sorry to hear about this. Is this still concerning the removal of the equipment charges?

^Martin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for responding Martin.

No, havent heard anything from virgin on whether they received the equipment or not. 

Virgin took a whole month's direct debit on 4th december, the same day we returned their equipment,  so they owe us the majority of our monthly fee, somewhat over £40, which has not been repaid yet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi mismit,

Thank you for getting back to us, when a disconnection is processed we still take Direct Debit payments that had been generated once the account is closed a final bill is then generated and anything that has been over paid at that point is sent back via cheque this is usually done around 40 days after the disconnection date.

Please allow this time if you haven't received anything around 5 days after this please let us know and we can chase it  up.

Kind regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for responding.

But 40 DAYS! That's unreasonable.

Looked at the other way round, if I had cancelled my DD before the last payment was taken I wonder if Virgin would allow me 40 days to pay the amount I owed them...

0 Kudos