Menu
machineghost
Fibre optic
Message 81 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Re: Price increase

@countyexile wrote:

Two issues for me - 1) a price increase multiple times the current inflation rate & 2) Virtually impossible to contact VM (a communications company??) to discuss.

There is no email address for contact, no online live chat seemingly in operation at present and virtually impossible to get through on the phone!

I have been a VM customer since 2001 (Telewest originally) and am currently out of contract.  I have the Bigger Bundle + Sports package (Sky Sports but not HD), M200 broadband, Talk More Anytime landline and a separate SIM only Virgin Mobile account. After the increase the monthly package plus mobile charge will be just under £138.

Checking out VM advertising they are currently offering the Oomph package for £139 (standard rate after the new customer introductory period). For just £1 more than mine that has everything mine has plus Sky Cinema, The Sky Sports HD pack, M500 Broadband (mine is M200) and Unlimited mobile SIM (mine has data limits.

All I want to do is contact VM to discuss the increase and the possibility of replacing my package with the above, but it is impossible to contact them!!

I think you should consider buying a subscription for Sports through a firestick or NowTV  unless you really want to record sports (I can't stand watching recorded sports)?, stick with M200, and you should be able to get the broadband, tv box and phone for 65 pounds or so and you would have much more room to pay for Sports and Cinema with the money you save. As it is Virgins box related service is hopeless, in a similar vein Netflix works through my tv or my firestick better than the V6 box which is constantly faulty or crashing. The Hub3 I have is always terrible for wifi and so I bought my own router which has been an amazing improvement on the terrible Hub. Just my 2 pennies worth of advice.

To put in perspective, I was paying 130 or so a couple of years ago, I now pay 50 (for M200, Maxit channels and talk anytime) and for the first 10 months I I took the 80 pounds saving and then bought a 55" Smart Tv (600£) with Prime etc built in...then bought my router etc....I really only need Virgin now for the fast fibre. 

ps I too signed a new 18month contract in September (£46 for M200, Maxit and Talk) and then received the message that it was going up by 9% this month...ridiculous policy...my favourite part is how they say they have to increase the price because we are using the service more during lockdown..it is our fault for using the service we negotiated with them for..but I am sure that when lockdown ends the price will drop again........

jonathanpye
Fibre optic
Message 82 of 102
Flag for a moderator

@countyexile wrote:

Two issues for me - 1) a price increase multiple times the current inflation rate & 2) Virtually impossible to contact VM (a communications company??) to discuss.

There is no email address for contact, no online live chat seemingly in operation at present and virtually impossible to get through on the phone!

I have been a VM customer since 2001 (Telewest originally) and am currently out of contract.  I have the Bigger Bundle + Sports package (Sky Sports but not HD), M200 broadband, Talk More Anytime landline and a separate SIM only Virgin Mobile account. After the increase the monthly package plus mobile charge will be just under £138.

Checking out VM advertising they are currently offering the Oomph package for £139 (standard rate after the new customer introductory period). For just £1 more than mine that has everything mine has plus Sky Cinema, The Sky Sports HD pack, M500 Broadband (mine is M200) and Unlimited mobile SIM (mine has data limits.

All I want to do is contact VM to discuss the increase and the possibility of replacing my package with the above, but it is impossible to contact them!!

You really need to get hold of retentions and negotiate. I do this every 12 months. Currently on oomph Gig1 paying significantly less than £139 which has 500/600 mb. I'm also a telewest customer from 2001 and realised in 2009 I was paying to much for the services I was getting and started phoning up every year to negotiate and ensure maximum value. I have never got it as cheap as new customer initial prices but have got it as cheap as the overall 18 month cost ie my monthly cost often equates to the average  cost of introductory price and the later higher price in a new customer contract. It does depend on your account history of course!

-------------------------------------------------------------
Services and Equipment;
HUB4
x2 V6 Upgraded to tv360
Ultimate Ooomph Gig1 with UHD
VM Telly Tablet
0 Kudos
countyexile
Dialled in
Message 83 of 102
Flag for a moderator

The problem is actually getting hold of retentions. No email contact, no live chat facility and absolute ages trying to get through by phone. No problem with account history, have always had a tv/landline/ broadband package and always paid on time.

I just find it appalling customer service that a communications company makes if so difficult for customers to contact them - and I am not just talking about the last year and the admitted difficulties arising from the pandemic, it has been like this for years.

Thanks machinegoast and jonathanpye for your suggestions.
jonathanpye
Fibre optic
Message 84 of 102
Flag for a moderator

I phoned 3 weeks ago over wifi pods. I just left my landline phone on speaker whilst I carried on my day to day stuff until I got an answer.  Think I waited about an hour in the middle of the afternoon.

Also, VM forum staff recommend phoning at 8am as they say it's their quietest time in the day. So perhaps give that a go if your schedule allows it.

Services and Equipment;
HUB4
x2 V6 Upgraded to tv360
VM Telly Tablet
countyexile
Dialled in
Message 85 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Cheers. Will try that.

0 Kudos
countyexile
Dialled in
Message 86 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Took jonathanpye's advice and tried calling just after 8am. Got through to a UK call centre within 5 minutes and a very helpful chap who sorted out an upgrade to the oomph package plus unlimited data / minutes sim for £110 per month. £27 per month less than I am currently paying for a package with a limited data / minutes sim, M200 broadband (upgrade to M500),  Sky Sports SD only (upgrade has HD sports too plus Sky Cinema).  Happy with that.

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 87 of 102
Flag for a moderator

HI countyexile, thanks for the message and we are glad to see that you have managed to get this resolved and a cheaper package, please let us know if you need anything and have a good day ^Chris

jonathanpye
Fibre optic
Message 88 of 102
Flag for a moderator

@countyexile wrote:

Took jonathanpye's advice and tried calling just after 8am. Got through to a UK call centre within 5 minutes and a very helpful chap who sorted out an upgrade to the oomph package plus unlimited data / minutes sim for £110 per month. £27 per month less than I am currently paying for a package with a limited data / minutes sim, M200 broadband (upgrade to M500),  Sky Sports SD only (upgrade has HD sports too plus Sky Cinema).  Happy with that.

Really pleased for you that you got through and got a good discount. That is the price I was paying for ultimate oomph before upgrading the speed to gig1 for a little bit more.

Really nice to hear a positive straight forward outcome, thanks for sharing.

Services and Equipment;
HUB4
x2 V6 Upgraded to tv360
VM Telly Tablet
jonathanpye
Fibre optic
Message 89 of 102
Flag for a moderator

@Chris_W1 wrote:

HI countyexile, thanks for the message and we are glad to see that you have managed to get this resolved and a cheaper package, please let us know if you need anything and have a good day ^Chris

I know sometimes I grumble at things in this community  but in this instance a big thank you goes out to the support team here and on the end of the phone on this. Good support means alot to all of us.

Services and Equipment;
HUB4
x2 V6 Upgraded to tv360
VM Telly Tablet
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 90 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Hi jonathanpye, we welcome your reply and if you have any technical queries we are here to help, have a good week and stay safe. Chris

0 Kudos