cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Price increase cancel- Told I have to pay out the rest of contract is this true?

artyrambler
On our wavelength

So I've just spent half hour on phone trying to reduce my bill only to be offered a better package for the same price. I asked to cancel TV and she said I couldn't because my contract has another 7 months. I couldn't get through to her that I just can't afford it.

The letter says I can cancel without charge but phone operator said only if I don't have contract!

Please someone tell me the truth.

I then said put me through to cancellations and she CUT ME OFF!

She actually reduced me to tears. 

20 REPLIES 20

@artyrambler your best bet is usually to try at about 8am when they open up and just follow all of the 'thinking of leaving us' options - better chance of getting through to one of the UK call centres. Now what I would suggest is that you spend some time investigating exactly what alternative suppliers are available and what the costs are. The person you speak to at VM will also be fully aware of what your alternatives are so no point pretending in an attempt to get a better deal. Now if they do offer you something which you think is acceptable, then go for it. Otherwise just insist on cancelling and get a firm end date.

You might, or might not get a call from them in the next month offering you a once only deal - it really is a once only and you need to decide there and then, no thinking about it and calling them back. So you need to be sure what it is you want and how much you are prepared to pay.

@Ernie_C @japitts @用心棒 I always assumed that the 'cancellation if the prices go up' policy was an all of nothing deal - the poorly worded and possibly misleading line in the email as reported by @用心棒 not withstanding.

@jem101 That's exactly what I did this morning. Got up early after I'd had spent hours in the week holding on. The only time I got through then I ended up being cut off. The phone was answered quickly but not to a UK call centre. She offered me a great deal but it was a bit more than I'd be paying next month and as things stand I cannot afford the rise.

Thank you for your reply though. It's kind of you to try and help

Hi @artyrambler,

I am sorry to hear you're struggling to speak with the team, but I assure you that we wouldn't terminate the call intentionally. If you reach back out to the team on 0345 454 1111 (or 150 from a Virgin Media landline), I assure you that they'll be able to discuss offers and options with you.

If you'd rather not call, you can find all of our other contact details here.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

WullyT
On our wavelength

You are not alone my friend. I have been going through exactly the same weekend.  i have spent hours on Whats App waiting to cancel Virgin. I have just finished composing my letter ending all Virgin services. So I am off to the Post Office in the morning. 

Briefly like yourself my offer is ending and my contract was going up by £50 our month - I couldn't afford that. So the operator "she" talked too quickly and all around the subject and got me a price which was close to what I was paying but, and here is the rub, SkySports HD was gone from my package . (SkySports is the only reason I am anywhere near cable TV). I thought SkySports "High Definition" was going but SkySports was still there. She babbled on and kept repeating I could cancel within 14 days - by this point my head was swimming. I have been trying now for 3 days to cancel without success. 

For moderator or anyone with knowledge should I send this letter "recorded delivery?"

Thanks for your reply, but as I've only managed to speak to someone twice and got cut off both times when asking to be through to cancellations, I can't help thinking it's done on purpose.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@WullyT wrote:

For moderator or anyone with knowledge should I send this letter "recorded delivery?"

Section N of the terms & conditions gives you the answer:

1. In addition to your rights to cancel during the cooling off period, either you or we may end this agreement at any time (including during or at the end of any minimum period) by giving the other 30 days’ notice.  You can provide notice and end this agreement under this provision by:

1. dialling 0345 454 1111 from any phone (for information on how much this call will cost from a Virgin Media home phone visit virginmedia.com/callcosts.  Call costs from other networks and mobiles vary); or

2. writing to Virgin Media, Sunderland, SR43 4AA;

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi artyrambler,

I really am sorry that you've been struggling to speak with us to process your disconnection, I understand how frustrating this must be. 

We don't usually process disconnections from here, but given the circumstances we are keen to help. I'll pop you over a PM now so I can take some details and get this sorted for you.

Please look out for my message over at the purple envelope

Beth

Abij87
Tuning in

Have you called back again, I had a similar issue last year, I had to reduce my package to something I could afford, or cancel TV and phone, but the guy on phone had a look through and gave me a better but cheaper package, so I was still saving the Pennie's but also still have all 3 services, maybe try calling back again, and I hope you get this sorted, 🙏😀

Thank you for your reply. I did ask how much it'd be without the phone and TV, but it was more money! It's upsetting as they surely realise when your on a budget a monthly rise in bills is hard.

I don't know if I can face ringing again for a while lol

Hi @artyrambler, just so you know this message has gone on the public thread, rather than a PM to Bethany but please be assured I'll pass your comments on.

As you may have been advised, the reason why less services may be more in terms of a cost, is because there can be some really great discounts when you have more services with us which creates a better value package.

I hope this helps and please let us know if you require any further assistance.

Many thanks

Tom_W