cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible scam email

Mooster96
Tuning in

I've received an email from webteam@virginmedia.com regarding my order of my new vm package which I haven't ordered ive been a customer for over 6 years it says the price is £104.7500 (wierd) I have a order ref number. And it says I ordered it today and It will be active o n 1st Jan I rang vm and got told he cudnt find anything on the system and put me thru to sales who said the same tried to give them the reference number but wasn't interested 

8 REPLIES 8

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you post up a copy of the email please? Obscure any personally identifiable info, being a public forum.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Screenshot_20211229-195755_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20211229-195816_Gmail.jpg

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There's a few bits in there that ring alarm-bells for me.

Blank entries under "new services" & "removed services", I've a feeling the genuine VM contracts always detail the changes - and that the covering email doesn't give details, but refers you to the attached PDF

Obviously the formatting of the amount.

Therefore I'd suggest two further checks..

1: What's the "from" & "reply-to" address on this email?

2: Login to your myVM online account and check your contract details. Do they match what you'd expect, or what this email purports to say?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Mooster96

Thanks for posting. Sorry for the confusion here. I want to help you ensure this is sorted so I shall send you a PM now to assist further.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi @Mooster96

Thanks for your message. Please click on my profile. It would show you who I am and thus verify that it's safe to deal with me via PM 🙂

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Mooster96
Tuning in

OK so I've been on my virgin media app and there is no orders or appoi tents I literally don't k ow who to trust I've emptied my bank accou t I have a message on  here from someone who wants all my details I really feel like I'm gunna have a meltdown

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Mooster96 

You're right to be cautious, but I'll try to assist a little here...

Take a read of this page - anyone who is listed on this page, or who has the title "Forum Team" or "Moderator" under their username, are paid Virgin Media staff who will use the Private Message system to exchange personal details with you in the same way as you would exchange telephone passwords with you if you called a CS agent on 150.

Anyone with a rank other than these, is just another customer like yourself and you should not exchange personal details with them. The only semi-exception is anyone like myself with a rank of "Very Insightful Person". There's more information on the link in the signature of all my posts - we are not Virgin Media staff and whilst we have been recognised by VM for the quality of our advice over time, we don't have any access to your individual account.

So long as you are only exchanging Private Messages with users who you are confident are flagged as "Forum Team", you can be confident you are dealing with VM paid staff.

Thanks @japitts for helping 🙂

@Mooster96 - I am trying to help you but in order to do so, I will need you to provide me answers to the questions in the PM.

Best

John_GS
Forum Team