cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer offers VS Existing customer offers are ridiculous

manemzjum
Tuning in

So I'm out-with my 12 month contract and I have had a look at Virgins website they are currently offering the VIP package for £79 for 12 months.

I contacted them about this offer but as usual this is for new customers only. Their counter offer was the same package only with 200mb broadband instead of the 350mb you get with the VIP package and I could get this for a great price of £105 EH NO THANKS.

As I am outwit my 12 month contract I can cancel my account at anytime so I'm just going to cancel my account give them the 30 days notice then I'm told I have to wait another 30 days I can then open a new account and get the 12 month contract for £79 or get my wife to open an account in her name sooner. 

Saving myself £312

TRY LOOKING AFTER YOUR EXISTING CUSTOMERS RATHER THAN SELLING US OUT FOR NEW ONES. 

1. Hello sir you have been with us loyally for 15 years we are prepared to offer you a saving of £10 per month as a good will gesture how does that sound.

2. Oh hello new customer who has never paid us a penny come join us we will give you our very top package at a saving of £52 per month we will just put the prices up on our existing customers to balance out our shortcomings. 

36 REPLIES 36

presse
Joining in

I don't agree with the way that you have been told it's just too bad if you don't like it - move on. Nor should the customer shoulder the responsibility of a company being unable to sustain offering lower prices to ALL customers, not just new ones. We are the consumers after all and quite naturally look for, and should be offered the best deal possible, so if you start telling us to go somewhere else, we probably will.

Have a look at Now TV in that case, manemzjum - they can provide you with one month rolling commitments for broadband, phone and/or tv until your new customer status is active. They are offering a competative price twelve month  Broadband / phone service (anytime calls) contract - £30 a month. Add any or all of Now TV - Netflix - Amazon Prime - also rolling one month commitments (all three of these do introductory free month offers on their services) and you can be free from being an existing/returning customer at a competative cost without being tied to a contract. There is nothing that Virgin can offer that these do not cover, except perhaps BT Sport - Now TV will charge you a one off £60 fee for the broadband / phone which needs to be considered, but their twelve month contract negates this charge (which, I know, is the opposite of being tied to a contract - but the popint is it is not the only option). Only a suggestion - one I am seriously considering, my contract term with Virgin is also coming to an end with a price hike from £79 to £138 which is, as you say, ridiculous. Offering great first time deals is one thing - fleecing those unwary is another. 

BJan
On our wavelength
Hi, I've been trying to get a link where this is made clear but can't - would you happen to have a link? I'm considering NOW or even SKY for TV, and a smarty SIM for broadband, but would like to know what options I may have when I get to that point - planning to give my month's notice in November.

boogiemoog
Dialled in

I ordered the Bigger Bundle 362mb package (EXISTING CUSTOMER) for an extra £3.15 extra a month 1 Month Contract and was told that this was only available to 'NEW CUSTOMERS' although it is part of my upgrade package. Others are getting this product but I don't appear to be able to. You're not looking after existing customers VM and when 5G is full operational people will vote by ending contracts.

Nothing lasts forever....

Katie_WT
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there @boogiemoog

Welcome back to our Community. Sorry that you;re not happy with your current package or our offers currently available. 

We're really keen for new customers to join Virgin Media so they can start getting all the benefits we offer. So from time to time, we have special offers and promotions to welcome new customers on board. 

Although they may not always be available to existing customers, that doesn't mean that you miss out once you've joined us. We often have offers and special deals on our services, or one-off promotions to make sure you carry on getting the value you'd expect, and the kind of service you deserve. 

We love all our customers and are always happy to check for offers and deals that are available just for you. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

Not good for existing customers though is it who appear to be shelling out the most. This seriously needs to be looked at. As soon as 5G hits the area people will vote by leaving VM

And I will say this again; The Bigger Bundle 362mb package (EXISTING CUSTOMER) for an extra £3.15 is part of my upgrade package, what is the point of it being there if it is unobtainable to an existing customer

Katie_WT
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

If the offer is there @boogiemoog I am unable to see how this is unobtainable, I am sorry for any confusion?

New Customer deals are just that - they are available for new customers only. Once this offer ends, the customer then will pay the standard package cost for that package.

If you're not happy with your current package cost then our Customer Care team are more than happy to take a look at your package and see what deals we have available that better suit your needs and budget. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

I'm in the same position. So I'm currently on the M100 broadband deal that's due to come to an end at the start of October. I called the sales team to see what sort of offers were available as I've been happy with the service so far; 

I was told that the price would be £31.50 as a 'loyalty offer' despite new customers being able to sign up for £24 via various comparison sites and also get a £75 amazon voucher. 31% more expensive. 

I looked at the TV and broadband deals and saw that you can get Sky Sports HD, BT Sport 4k and other various channels plus M200 broadband for £65 per month. I was offered the deal at £88 per month as another 'loyalty offer'. 32% more expensive.

When I asked why I was going to be charged so much they said the other offers are new customer deals. No surprise there then. The person I spoke with was bold enough to admit they do this just to make more profit. Apparently if I hand my 30 day notice in on my broadband they won't reconnect for at least 30 days after it ends if my wife were to sign up as a new customer. They wouldn't allow her to sign up during my notice period so her service starts that day after mine ends.

The person I spoke to in retentions said they deliberately do this to make it as difficult as possible for people to get new deals. Utterly shambolic customer service.

It's been said before in this thread, your existing customers subsidise the new ones until their price goes up in the future. You want to make leaving and rejoining as difficult as possible just to make as much money as you can.

Hi matej86, thanks for the message,

We always aim to give you the best possible deal and this usually happens when a customer is out of contract. In regards to new customer deals you would have been given one when you joined. price conparison sites are 3rd party websites which compare different providers - Chris

Yes I know, but as has been previously said in this thread it's scandalous that you treat existing customers worse than new ones and then have the cheek to wrap it up in a "Here's a special offer, just for you" package. We're not stupid and know exactly what you're doing.