cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer creating account - "You can't use that password. Please choose another."

vmuser4
Tuning in

I've tried 25 different passwords, some actual words, some random, even some using a password generator. All meet the requirements (of varying strength to moderate/strong). No special characters.

I've tried Safari, Chrome, incognito mode, iPhone, iPad, Virgin Media app to create an account.

No matter what I try, I always get "You can't use that password. Please choose another."

Never used the email address with VM before, only to place the order. I've been given an install date, and the email states to login to My Account if I'd like to change it. I have all my account details, but cannot get beyond the registration process where it asks me to create a password.

What am I doing wrong?

Screenshot 2022-04-29 at 15.31.19.png

173 REPLIES 173

Hi @vickyyivs

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community.

I am sorry to hear of the issues you had setting up your online account. 

Thank you for the update on this. 

I am happy to hear this is now resolved.

We do appreciate the feedback provided and apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused.

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hello,

I am having the same issue as above. I am a new customer and received an email to get setup with ebilling.

I entered the email address used when I placed the order but when I try to set a password I get the error "You can't use that password. Please choose another." I get this error regardless of what password I try to enter, despite meeting the password criteria.

Can you please resolve this issue for me as it seems I can't finish creating my account otherwise?

Thanks.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello michaeloriordan, thanks for posting on our help forum. 
Sorry to hear you cannot register for an online account with VM due to this issue with creating a password.

Could you please let us know if the email used to register with us has been potentially used in the past for a former account with us perhaps?
You may try registering using a different email address on this page here and see if this works better, once an account has been set up you can go and change the username / email address to the one you want again.

Please, try this and let us know if it helped.
Not to worry if you haven't got any other emails to use for doing this, just pop us a message here and let us know so we can assist further with the issue.
Cheers,

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks very much for your response Adri_G and for your suggestion to try a different email address.

Yes, I had an old account with virginmedia.ie from a few years ago using the same email address. I guess this was causing the password error because, following your suggestion, I had no problems registering with a different email address (despite the registration prompt asking to use the email address used for the order).

Unfortunately, I was not able to change the username/email address after setting up the account. I edited the sign in details in account settings but the email verification link was already expired when I got the email 2 minutes later, and there seems to be no option to resend it. When I try to edit the details now I just gives an error saying that I need to follow the verification link. I guess I'll try to edit the details again later. Pretty poor account setup experience.

Hi michaeloriordan, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

I just want to double check, are you now a UK customer or are you still in the Republic of Ireland? 

Let us know s we can help further. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Hi Kath_F,

I'm now a UK customer.The error I'm receiving when I try to edit the sign in/contact details on my account is:

You've recently requested to change the email address you use to sign in to My Virgin Media. Please check your emails and verify this change before making further account changes.

However, the verification link I received seemed to already be expired and there's no option to resend etc.

Thanks,
Michael.

Hi Michael, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this and confirming you're now a UK customer. 

We can get the verification email resent for you however in order to do that I will need to confirm some information with you. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

And another one with the same issue.

Signed up for Broadband+TV bundle earlier today. (Wednesday 25/10/2022)

I've had my emails, including contracts and the welcome one with the account number and area code.

Trying to register gets as far as creating the password, but I'm constantly getting "You can't use that password. Please choose another."

Password is strong, I've tried manual ones, auto generated by the browser and a password manager, short 8 character ones, and a longer up to 20 characters. Lots of mixed case, numbers and special characters, no words etc. it won't accept any of them!

Any help, welcome! Thanks.

Hey @Boothy666,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your online account, I would be happy to take a further look into this for you but would need to confirm a few details via private message, please look out for my message and we can get started.
Kind Regards,
Steven_L

Just to add to this, I'm now in, and thanks for the help identifying the issue.

For info to anyone else having this issue, make sure you are not using an aliased email address. (i.e. one with a '+' plus sign). So basically any users of Outlook.com, inc hotmail, gmail and many others, and who use aliases to provide unique email addresses for each service. This doesn't work with Virgin.

Seems the root cause is a bug, or bad configuration, in the Virgin Media system, that doesn't allow all valid characters in email addresses.

According to the spec, specifically RFC 2822, all alphanumeric characters, plus any characters between ASCII 33 and 47 (except !, #, $, %, & and ~) are allowed, this includes the plus sign and a few others.

Unfortunately Virgins my.virginmedia.com site, isn't compliant with this part of the email specifications, and so fails if trying to use an email with a plus sign.

What doesn't help, is the unrelated error message, telling us it's a bad password, when the issue is actually related to the email address!

Also just for ref, the main Virgin Media site, when ordering new services (before being a customer), and this community forum, both work fine with + signs in email addresses. It's only the my.virginmedia.com site itself that seems to be broken!

Cheers.