cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer creating account - "You can't use that password. Please choose another."

vmuser4
Tuning in

I've tried 25 different passwords, some actual words, some random, even some using a password generator. All meet the requirements (of varying strength to moderate/strong). No special characters.

I've tried Safari, Chrome, incognito mode, iPhone, iPad, Virgin Media app to create an account.

No matter what I try, I always get "You can't use that password. Please choose another."

Never used the email address with VM before, only to place the order. I've been given an install date, and the email states to login to My Account if I'd like to change it. I have all my account details, but cannot get beyond the registration process where it asks me to create a password.

What am I doing wrong?

Screenshot 2022-04-29 at 15.31.19.png

173 REPLIES 173

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi vmuser4,

Thank you for your post.

I am sorry to hear you've been really struggling to set up a password for My Virgin Media. This is currently a known issue and we are investigating further. The estimated fix date for this issue is 4th May. Please do try registering again then and let us know if you're having any further issues.

We are sorry for any inconvenience caused in the meantime. 

Beth

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Beth

Any news? I'm having exactly the same issue. And it seems to have been something that's talked about in the community a fair bit.

I've been having the same issue (don't panic this isn't my actual passwords for anything) 

918426A8-C84F-46D5-A87F-91C8E04925FD.png

And I have tried EVERYTHING that's been mantioned in the community. Typing both fields manually - no copy and paste etc. On a multitude of browsers on many devices. But still no luck?

It it because I'm a new customer and my account isn't activated yet? If that is the case it doesn't seem right to have so much content / support hidden behind a login that a new customer can't have...?

Anyway hope we can get this fixed. Also it would be nice to have longer passwords with special characters if you're fixing things...

I tried again yesterday, still doesn't work.

Thank you for keeping us update on this vmuser4.

To confirm, do you have an online account registered and are trying to reset the password?

^Martin

Hi Martin,

This is a new customer account with a future install date. I'm trying to create an account to login, to see what the options are for the install date, as per the 'installation update' email we've received...

"We hope this appointment works for you, but if you need to change it again you can do this by visiting My Virgin Media your online area".

Never used the email address with VM before. Enter email address, pick password, to be told 'You can't use that password'.

Beth stated the estimated fix was 4th May. I've been trying to register for an account for two weeks now. Is this affecting all customers trying to create an account?

Thank you for that information. To be able to assist further I will need to access the account. 

I will private message you so I can gather some more information. 

^Martin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Still waiting for that PM...

Iain,

I received a PM to be told that I cannot create an account until my services are installed and active. That's contradictory to the installation email that says I can create an account to view and change my install date...

So I'll just give up and wait until services are installed.

Why not have an appropriate error message instead of 'you can't use that password' ?!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks mate.

Appreciate the heads up 

Agree totally with your suggestion about the error message. 

I'm also pretty sure that I was directed to MyVirginMedia to get information on my service as part of the onboarding process. 

Surely that should've be suggested to people who can't actually have an account at that point in the process.

I'm also disappointed about information being given out about faults on the webpage and it being a known issue that will be resolved by the 4th of May... (Sorry Beth 🙏)